5. Charity

Much to Blaine's surprise, he and Kurt had ended up spending nearly the entire weekend in each others' presence. Though Kurt would have denied it, the two of them had a fair time with nothing else to do except talk to each other. In fact, Blaine even ended up bringing him to the campus gardens (which really did look more beautiful in the spring) on one of their many walks around school.

Blaine felt a strange twisting at the bottom of his stomach as he attempted to focus on his math lesson. From everything that had happened over the past two days, he couldn't help but wonder what had changed in Kurt's mind. Besides the occasional snippy remark, Kurt had a regular distaste for being around Blaine for more time than necessary. By now he knew that Blaine had a wanting for decent relationships with everyone in school, but he wouldn't have gone all the extra miles that he did. Kurt was supposed to hate everyone else– perhaps he had finally given in to Blaine's constant company.

He twisted his pencil between his fingers as he thought back on their time together. Now, not only did he know Kurt's story better than ever, Kurt knew about Blaine's story too. Everything from his uneasy relationship with his parents to his constant pressure and standards of being the best he was expected to be. (Even with Kurt's sarcastic comments on "what a tragedy your life must be", Blaine could tell that Kurt really did understand and feel for his similar living situation.)

It was like the clouds were fading away from Blaine's head. When he looked at him, he could hardly even remember what his first judgement was, for now he only saw the true Kurt, getting realer and realer with every encounter. The whole situation made Blaine feel... strange.

In fact, Blaine couldn't place a name on it at all. When he caught a glimpse of Kurt's icy blue eyes whenever they connected with his own amber ones, or heard the soft, low murmur of the storytelling of life at home, or even when Kurt caught his lower lip's black piercing between his teeth when he was thinking hard about something. It all made Blaine feel the same fluttering sensation in his lower belly that he was experiencing right now in the middle of class.

Kurt wouldn't consider them friends. And maybe Blaine didn't either, but he definitely knew they were something.

Blaine still hadn't mentioned anything about the drawings to him yet. And maybe he never would, but he still carried the paper around with him. There was also a secret wish in his mind that Kurt would leave behind another mystery, perhaps one that was even clearer than ever before.

Even though he craved one more piece of the puzzle, he did consider the fact that he and Kurt had learned a lot. By now Blaine's backstory paled in comparison to his. As they had spent their Saturday afternoon sprawled out on the Dalton campus lawn by the fountains, Kurt had mindlessly talked on about his family details as he ripped up grass between his fingers.

Blaine listened carefully, lying on his belly and resting his cheek on his fist, as Kurt told him that his father's name was Burt– he once owned an auto shop when Kurt was little. But that was before his mother Elizabeth died. After that, his dad earned money by repairing whatever he could for the neighbors around town. Kurt was eight years old, and by the way he talked about his mother, Blaine had suddenly been wishing he possessed a camera in that moment to capture the rare soft look in his eyes.

The vulnerable softness did not last long, however. Dull hatred quickly returned with another fistful of the ripped-up lawn. "I used to do well in school," he had said. "And even though I was quiet, I had a couple friends. That was before I became the joke of an outsider I am now."

He was thirteen years old when he had gotten into his first major trouble. "One night, one of the neighborhood kids had thrown a rock that shattered the kitchen window. My dad, he was so stressed and angry. I was afraid he would be upset with me, since earlier that day I had taken that kid's bike without asking, and I didn't want him to find out that it was my fault. So I sneaked out of the house, and went to that kid's trailer house to throw rocks at every window I could before the lights came on. My dad found me the next morning asleep in the bushes by the train tracks."