15. House Guests

As it turns out, Kurt's fortune continued to roll on.

Family Day was not the last time the boy saw the Hudson-Hummels. The pair of roommates had gotten away with a quiet holiday weekend on campus. In fact, the only soul around on Thanksgiving was the occasional cleaning and security staff. Together they spent their time on the frozen dirt floor of the Dalton campus forest. They lied on their backs in opposite directions, ear-to-ear. Blaine liked to gaze up at the tree branches while Kurt blew out smoke-- sometimes circular rings, sometimes lazy streamlines of ashy fog.

The first semester of the year had drawn to a close, and Blaine had (thankfully) finished with all A's. Kurt was proud that he didn't end up with a single D on his report card.

Christmas break had a different outcome. Unlike Thanksgiving, the whole Dalton campus needed to be evacuated for the holidays. Luckily it had been arranged for Kurt and his father to stay with Carole and Finn for Christmas. (If you were to ask Kurt if he jumped around the room with excitement, he would have told you it wasn't true. But Blaine saw it with his own eyes.)

And every time Blaine was sitting at a dinner table with a sweater that was a little too itchy with relatives that were a little too drunk, he thought of Kurt. He smiled too, because Kurt just did that to him.

Blaine would be a fool not to keep his studies up over break, too. But most evenings that he spent at his bedroom desk made him glad that Kurt didn't own a personal computer. He knew that he wouldn't be able to stop messaging and video calling the boy if that were the case. On the other hand, he knew Kurt was loving every moment with a normal family.

School began again, as if winter break were but a whirlwind. Things were going well. They woke up together, studied together, and rehearsed with the Warblers before starting over the next day. Rehearsals were probably the most draining, but both boys reminded themselves how much they loved it. If they wanted any chance at beating the competition at Regionals come March, practice was the only way to do it.

Kurt was pretty sure he saw a chair with his name on it when he strut into the library one evening. At least, that's what he imagined when he slid in across the table from Blaine Anderson.

Blaine merely glanced up from his chemistry textbook. "Hi," he croaked with his cheek on his fist.

"Blaine," Kurt blinked. "Do you know what day it is?"

The boy paused for a moment. "Um... Thursday?"

Kurt sprawled across the table surface dramatically. "Yes. But it's Thursday in March, Blaine. Thursday, March nineteenth."

"You know, there's a reason I came to study in the library," Blaine chuckled as he picked Kurt's hand off his papers. "I didn't know you'd find me here."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just make that low-blow. You weren't in the room, so of course you're in the library," Kurt rolled his eyes.

"Um, is there a reason you came here talking about the whole Thursday thing?" asked Blaine as polite as he could.

The chestnut-haired boy smirked. "We had our last rehearsal today."

Blaine blew out a long sigh. "Don't remind me. I still think Raise Your Glass could either be a smash or a total nightmare."

"How could it be a nightmare when we've got you singing lead?" Kurt raised an eyebrow. "Don't answer that. You're going to kill it, Blaine. And the reason I came to you is because this is the last Thursday we'll ever have before Regionals this weekend. So take a break from studying Home Ec. or whatever and come on a walk with me."

"It's chemistry, but nice effort!" Blaine pointed to the front cover. "Alright, alright. But it's still way too cold to be outside. We can take a spin by the art wing and that's it."