19. What Kind of Fool

Blaine's steps felt particularly heavy as he trudged back up the staircase to reach Fletcher Hall. All he wanted to do was shut himself in his dorm room. He wasn't sure if he felt like crying, or fuming, or doing nothing at all. He knew he didn't want to be around others, so even watching TV in the sophomore commons was out of the question. He just wanted to be alone.

He didn't get very far, however. At the top of the staircase, before he even turned into Fletcher, he noticed a group of boys.

Of course, Blaine thought and clenched his fists. The exact people I wanted to run into.

Wes, David, and Thad were talking amongst themselves. Nick, Jeff, and Trent followed closely behind, and it wasn't until the last moment that he noticed Quentin on their tails. All of them were strolling out of Spencer, the Senior class hall.

"Blaine," Trent was the first to greet him with a nervous tone. "I see you're still in school for spring break."

"Yeah. I didn't have any pool parties to attend, so here I am," Blaine grumbled, tossing a glance towards Nick and Jeff. "Just like all of you."

"We didn't make any plans this year. Spring break is typically used for Nationals preparation," Wes commented.

"Yeah, but we don't have to worry about that now, do we?" Nick interjected. Jeff nudged him, muttering something under his breath that Blaine couldn't hear.

"Well, I'm sorry there weren't any available flights to Cancun-- or wherever you were all planning to visit-- had you known Regionals would be a bust," said Blaine with a touch of dryness.

Nick clenched his teeth. "Don't act so smug."

"Nick, it's not a big deal," Quentin mumbled to him.

"Really, Quentin? You're the one who was supposed to tell him, and you couldn't even do that much. You've lost the right to make comments now," Nick fired back.

"Nick, are you serious? Why are you being so rude to him? And what are you talking about?" Blaine cut in.

Nick scoffed. "Wouldn't you like to know? Someone was supposed to deliver the news, but failed to do so.  But I'd be happy to tell you myself. You are now--"

"What I'd like to know is why you're being such a dick," Blaine interrupted immediately.

There was a sudden commotion between the boys in response. Even Jeff was surprised by the outburst from the once-goody-two-shoes.

"Nick, please," David interjected. Thad paused, who was holding Nick off from doing something regrettable. "This is not how the Warblers act."

Wes nodded. "I agree. If you don't mind, I'll tell Blaine the status of the current situation."

"Will someone please tell me the status of whatever situation this is?" Blaine plead, passing a death glance with Nick.

The three council members shared a look. Then, Wes took a deep breath.

"Blaine, you're being suspended from the Warblers."

There was dead silence. Blaine felt as if his whole world had been rocked. For a moment, nothing filled his mind but sheer nothingness. Then, a flood of worries broke loose. The first question being whether his ears were working properly.

"I'm... what? "

Wes looked uneasy. "It's... not permanent. Far from it, actually. We as a group feel as if... you need some time away. Kurt as well. The two of you--"

"Don't-- don't even say his name. He and I..." Blaine held up a hand to stop him. "I don't want to be associated with any of that. But being suspended from the Warblers will ruin everything for me. You don't understand. I'm a Junior Member! You all chose me to be a leader!"