11. Damaged

"Kurt Hummel," the boy said with arrogance. "But it's not like any of you don't know that."

Blaine looked at the faces of Nick, Jeff, and Trent, who all held the same dumbfounded stare.

Blaine himself didn't know what to say in the room that had quickly fallen silent. His eyes trailed over the boy in the doorway; he was wearing actual uniform dress shoes.

"I do hope that this isn't a problem..." said Dean Samuels, passing a glance to Wes and the council members.

"O-of course not," Wes stammered. "The Warblers are welcoming to any student looking for membership. Usually the audition process is at the beginning of the year but... we can certainly find a place for Kurt."

"Can he even sing?" blurted Nick, slightly louder than expected.

"I wouldn't be two-stepping on stage with a bunch of prep boys if I was tone-deaf," Kurt retorted.

"I'll leave you to it then," said the Dean. "Warblers, I appreciate your cooperation. I know you have a precise acceptance policy, but thank you for allowing Mr. Hummel to get involved. Oh, and Mr. Anderson, my office after your rehearsal please."

Blaine however had been struck with shock. Of all the boys in school to show up at the Warblers' door, how the hell did Kurt find his way here?

The senior study was silent until the Dean had properly exited. And, of course, Kurt was the first one to stir. He immediately untucked his white dress shirt from his pants. His composure around Dalton's head authority had switched completely.

"So," he said, "do I get a blazer or something?"

"The Warblers blazer is an honor." Trent looked nervous, as if Kurt had become a dangerous beast ready to pounce.

"It's a privilege," added Jeff dramatically, clutching onto his own blazer's lapels. "The blazer is sacred."

"That might be an overstatement..." mumbled Thad with a raised eyebrow.

"It's still an honor. Are you even here to work, or is this some big joke?"

Everyone's heads turned to see who had made the sharp retort. On the end of the sofa, Nick sat solemnly with his arms crossed.

Kurt only let out a sigh. He let his bag strap fall from his shoulder and swung it onto an empty seat. "You suppose I don't know what you're all thinking?"

There were a few shuffles and coughs, but no one answered.

To Blaine's relief, Kurt didn't continue. Instead, Wes was the next one to speak.

"Why don't you show us what you can do," he interjected. "That way we'll be able to find a part for you. Do you by chance have a song prepared?"

"I do," Kurt replied snidely, but not before throwing a glance at Blaine and the other boys.

"Do you have accompaniment?" Nick threw back, still hostile with doubts.

"You guys are an A Capella group, aren't you?" Kurt raised an eyebrow.

Several of the guys were taken aback by this. They passed looks to one another, no one quite sure how to tackle the situation at hand.

"Kurt..." Blaine finally grumbled. He promptly stood up from the sofa and approached the chestnut-haired boy. "Hey, can we speak for a moment?"

Kurt couldn't help but throw one last glare at the awestruck boys. "I already know what you're going to say."

Blaine led him to a corner of the room, which wasn't much of an improvement. The other Warblers whispered among themselves, allowing Blaine to lower his voice. "What is this really about?"