16. Like Father

The question had been racing through Blaine's mind all evening: what did Kurt think?

Sure, Kurt had no filter when it came to voicing his opinion on Blaine's stuff. He noted the tiled floors, the little baubles that decorated the halls, the high ceilings, the curving staircase that hugged the wall of the great front room. He even commented on the nice sweater he wore (which, in Blaine's defense, was given to him by his aunt for Christmas).

However, Blaine was desperate to know what Kurt thought past the material items. Did his mother come on too friendly? Did his father appear too reserved? Or worse: did Kurt now see Blaine as some kind of stuck-up rich kid?

Blaine had been wondering for so long that he forgot where he was.

"Blaine, sweetie," his mother interrupted his thoughts. "You've been staring at your zucchini for the past fifteen minutes."

"Sorry mom," Blaine straightened up from his slouch. "I must've spaced out."

"You tell us that you're focused in school, but your actions show otherwise," his father commented against the rim of his glass before taking a swig of the dinner champagne.

The Hummels had gotten the whole spiel: his mother approaching exuberantly with his father trailing sluggishly behind as soon as they step foot into the house. Blaine had tried to eye their reactions, but fell short as everyone became introduced.

He could already sense his father's disapproval upon laying eyes on Kurt's numerous piercings.

Mrs. Anderson was quite different from most moms. The first thing everyone noticed was her undeniable beauty. Blaine had been curious as to how she would present herself tonight, but wasn't completely mortified when she appeared in a simple purple long-sleeved dress. She displayed her bejeweled statement necklace and matching earrings, which seemed a bit much to the teen. Her soft waves of hair and light eye makeup seemed welcoming enough. Blaine's mother greeted the guests with a handshake and a warm toothy smile, which was a trait she definitely shared with her son.

She had a way of preserving her youth, but never in a tacky way (i.e. using the "hip" teenager slang, or wearing any form of crop top). Blaine knew that she had always kept her co-workers guessing when it came to age, and that some of the men bartending would be generous with her drinks. Still, she managed to raise two boys and do everything to give them what they needed. She was the first to sign the check for Cooper's first expedition to California, and adhere to Blaine's tuition at a private school. Her husband was a different story.

Blaine's father almost seemed like a polar opposite. He was the one standing solemn and rigid, the last to make an approach. He was the kind of man who was allowed to make the jokes, but didn't laugh at others. He gave Blaine all the other traits his mother didn't: thick dark hair, a charming facial structure, and handsome amber eyes. He was known as the boss around the office, and the most likely to succeed in any given situation using his logic and reasoning.

Together, their combination allowed Blaine and his brother to have a pleasant upbringing. They balanced out the Anderson home well. As a young boy, he knew that he would be learning right and wrong and their consequences, as well as having a creative outlet to do so.

"Do you not like the zucchini?" his mother re-centered the conversation. "I grew them in the garden out back. I thought they'd be fresh to have for tonight's dinner."

"I think they're absolutely delicious," Burt complimented before another forkful. "My wife has grown some our vegetables at home as well."

"Had I known, I would've invited her to dinner! She will have to come around next time, no doubt," Mrs. Anderson replied.