Chapter 6: Orientation

"Are you going to tell me what happened between you and Jordan?" I asked, for what I can sincerely tell you, was the thousandth time.

"You're a size 8, right?" Eliza asked, basically ignoring my last question, like she had been doing all night

"Eliza, stop ignoring me" I demanded

"I don't think you're going to get any black bridesmaids dresses here, let's go to the new store that opened last month" she commented, refusing to look me in the eyes, as her fingers stroked the multiple black dresses on the rack in front of her.

For the past two days, I had been pressuring Eliza to tell me what had happened between her and Jordan. They had clearly fought, about what I had no idea, but it wasn't a big deal right? I mean, they fought all the time. They always made up, and they were back in love. Their fights had never lasted long, and usually Eliza would tell me every excruciating detail about their lovers spat.

This time was different.

Eliza had barely eaten anything over the past two days, she barely spoke and she would cry herself to sleep. She would go to bed early, before dinner and I had no idea how to deal with it.

I always dealt with her problems.

And she dealt with mine.

That's how we worked. That's why we were best friends.

It was hard to believe that what ever happened to Jordan and Eliza was that serious. They were everything, as cheesy as it sounded, they were my relationship goals. Nobody had loved her like he had, and I was sure it was the same for him.

I lightly gripped both her arms, turning her to face me. Looking into her eyes I could see the shadow of a tear, down her pale face. I had spent the entire day with her and I hadn't even realised that she was so pale, or that she had been hurting so much. "What happened between you and Jordan?" I asked once again, quietly this time.

She used her sleeve to swipe her cheek, before sniffing slightly "I broke up with him yesterday"

"Wait what?" I asked. Jordan and Eliza fought all the time, but they had never...broke up.

How serious was this fight?

"Yeah" she muttered, pulling the dresses from the rack and inspecting them before scrunching her nose and placing them back.

"Why?" I questioned, and yes I realised that I was pushing her for the answers and that I should have just left her alone but she told me everything. Why not this?

"Juliette please" She whispered, looking me in the eyes, silently begging me to stop. And I did. The entire time, she had been saying the same thing 'Juliette no' or 'Juliette stop' or just straight up ignoring me. But the way she had said it, the way she had pleaded me to drop the subject made my veins freeze up.

This was serious.

"So um, another store?" I asked, changing the subject, knowing that she really wanted me to shut up about Jordan.

"Yeah, I can't seem to find any black bridesmaid dresses here" She smiled, though it didn't fully reach her eyes. She placed all the dresses that rested on her arm and placed it back on the racks before she headed towards Forever 21

I followed her there, and as soon as she entered she found a sales assistant dressed in all black with a tag around her neck. "Do you sell any black bridesmaid dresses?" She asked the sales assistant, who was named Jane.

Jane bit her lip for a lip, thinking about what to say before she spoke "I don't think we do black bridesmaid dresses, black's not a traditional colour for weddings, we have lots of pastels, though" She answered smiling at us