9. Rainy days and werewolves

Hey lovely peeps. Here's another chapter, but before you read it, let me just point out that the reason the book cover changes like, every single second, is because I can't really decide how I want it to look. I'll figure out how I want it to look soon enough, but until then, I'll probably keep changing it. Okay, you can read chapter 9 now.

- Anonymous1509
-------------------------------------------

I enjoy the smell of rain. It's refreshing. It's currently raining, and although I took a shower an hour and a half ago, Jonah is letting me run around in the rain idiotically.

This may be odd, but when it rains, I like to go out in it. I like how it feels. As a child, my dad would beat me for it, but it was worth it.

My mom was the one that got me into the habit. Before I lost mom and Ryan, every time it rained, my mom would go outside with my brother and I, and we'd throw mud at each other and spin around, and simply act stupid.

Dad hated it. He thought we were foolish, and all three of us would be punished for it, but it didn't matter.

The way my mother, brother, and I saw it was that it was better to live in the moment and be happy for a small amount of time, and then be beaten for it, rather than do absolutely nothing and still be beaten, except less harshly.

"So what's the point of this?" I hear Jonah ask, a smile in his voice. His friends, none of which he told me the name of, went inside about five minutes ago. I discovered that Jonah and all of his friends live together in the house. He told me that earlier. Because of this, I'm not sure how he plans to keep me away from them.

I don't really know why he even wants to keep me away from them. He said something about me not understanding them, but I don't see how much there is to understand. What could he be hiding?

Answering his question, I turn around to see his soaking wet, large form, and I tell him "rain is fun."

My response makes him smile. He has a very pretty smile, and very nice white teeth, and I like it when he smiles, which is a lot.

He walks over to where I'm standing, but he doesn't touch me. He just gazes at me as I spin around carelessly.

As strange as it may seem, I want to hug him or do something like kiss him on the cheek. There's a pull that is hard to ignore, and I want to know why this stranger, this guy that I've just met, has such an effect on me.

I stop spinning in the rain, almost without even realizing that I've stopped, and I stare at him like he's staring at me.

The rain is calming down, and I'm cold now. I shiver, and Jonah notices.

"Come on, sweetheart, let's get you back inside." He says as he wraps his arms around me, and we start walking back to the house.

I don't want to go inside, though. I want to stay in the rain and stare at him, while he holds me and makes me feel safe.

Still, I walk with him to the house, and he gets us both a towel to dry off with, and he lets me get clothes out of my bag.

The room that I'm staying in has twin beds, and Jonah told me that we would both be sleeping in that room, and that I could choose whichever bed I wanted to sleep in.

I chose the bed on the right side of the room with a red bed spread and orange pillows.

Jonah is currently changing clothes in the room, and I am changing in the bathroom.

I pick out a plain white t-shirt and gray shorts, with a black bra and underwear. I also take a brush out of my bag and brush my hair into a ponytail, so that I can tie it back with a hair tie.

My hair is still wet, but it's not dripping on the floor or anything, so I don't dry it off with a towel anymore than I already have.

After I'm in new clothes, and I'm dry, I leave the bathroom, and I walk across to the room Jonah and I will now be sharing for a temporary time.

I knock on the door. I don't hear anything, and I knock again. Jonah probably went to a different room.

I open the door, and when I do, I see Jonah. He's not naked or anything. He has on a pair of khaki shorts. He has no shirt on, though.

He looks at me as I walk in.

Without a shirt, I can see how muscular he is, and it's very clear that he is strong.

"Hi sweetheart." He says as I see his eyes look over my body. His face has an unexplainable expression before he looks back up at my face and says nothing.

"I'm sorry I kind of barged in on you." I mumble as I gesture to his shirtless self. He tells me that it's fine, and he walks to his bed, where a black t-shirt lays, which he puts on.

He sits down on his bed and then looks at me.

"Janelle, can I talk to you for a second?" He asks as he pats the spot beside him on his bed. I just nod and walk over to it.

"I know that we've just met, and that you're not comfortable with me, but I can't help but notice that you have cuts and bruises all over you. You don't have to tell me anything, sweetheart, but I want to know where you've gotten them from."

I listen as he says these words, but I don't know if I should tell him. I also don't want to hold it in for life. I have words that need to be spoken to somebody other than myself. I need to tell this perfect stranger my life story.

I'm positive that my lip is quivering as I speak.

"Sometimes my father hits me and cuts me. He usually doesn't cut me unless I've done something that he doesn't like, but he beats me everyday. If I don't do anything too bad, he won't hurt me horribly, but if I get home late or I do something he doesn't want me to do, he beats me very badly."

Finally. Those words have been spoken. It feels as though weights have been lifted off my shoulders.

I watch his reaction, and I notice his eyes turn darker than usual, and his figure begins to shake.

"Jonah, are you oka-" before I can finish the question, his entire body falls into a fetal position, and his face scrunches up in pain.

Before I can do anything, I watch as he bends in dangerous ways, and I hear and see his bones break. I'm screaming and I have no idea what to do.

And then there is an animal in front of me. A wolf. Ripped clothing lies behind it.

I'm terrified, and I try to run, but the wolf -Jonah- blocks the door.

I was wrong. Werewolves are real.