eight

It was now midnight, and not once had Christian dared to bother me again. Maybe he did go and kiss some other girl, maybe he didn't. I don't know, and I honestly don't know if I should care.

My stomach was practically a monster with its nonstop growling. Sharp pains were taking place in my lower stomach, and since I'm a werewolf, the pain is almost five times worse than a human's. For a long hour I've been debating on whether to go find the kitchen and get food. It seems like a good idea, but what if there are people still up? What if Christian is still there?

Who cares? You're just ignoring our poor mate anyways! Evangeline scolded.

Fine, I thought. Evangeline squealed in delight, and I could've sworn my stomach did the same.

Stalking up from the bed, I quietly unlocked the door and stepped out. It was dark, but I could still see. I made my way down the hallway and down the stairs, finding myself in the same hallway from this morning. The kitchen was somewhere on the left side, maybe a couple doors down from the office.

I found it, sooner than I thought, but to my surprise a plump woman with rich brown hair and gray streaks stood by the sink.

"Oh hello dear," she smiled, turning to face me while holding a dirty plate.

"Oh, um, I'm sorry." I muttered, backing out.

"No no, it's quite alright. I was actually getting quite bored alone." She chuckled, patting the island for me to sit. Taking a deep breath, I stalked forward, pulling out the black stool and sitting down. The woman had moved back to the sink again, cleaning the never ending pile of dirty dishes.

"You must be our newest member." She said, placing a dish on the rack.

"Um, yeah. You could say that." I shifted, leaning against the light counter.

"Are you hungry? There's left overs in the fridge if you'd like. Just grab a plate from the shelf above the stove." She pointed to a white cabinet above a modern stove. Thanking her quietly, I moved toward the cabinet and then the fridge, filling my plate up to the brim with some decent looking pasta. I sat back down and took a large bite, the delicious taste exciting my stomach. More spoonfuls of pasta landed in my mouth, and before I knew it, almost the whole plate was gone.

"You know, Christian's been acting quite different since you arrived."  I choked.

Coughing, I looked up at the old woman who was now smiling down at me.

"H-how do you know?" I stuttered, punching my chest to try and make the food go down.

"Dear, I know everything about him, he's my son, after all." She chuckled at my face. My eyes widened and my mouth hung low. How could this woman, the woman with a perfect figure, chocolate hair with just a few gray parts, and no wrinkles be Christians mother? They look nothing alike, except maybe for the striking gray eyes that resembled melted silver.

"His mother? But you're so nice, and he's..."

"Not? I know." She sighed quietly to herself and threw the rag on the edge of the sink. "Chris can be a handful most of the time, but he's a good man. He'll come through." She smiled, pulling off the gloves and patting down her red blouse.

"I'm Nancy." His mother introduced, sitting down on the stool in front of me.

"Alena." I whispered, smiling downwards. I still can't believe that Christian and Nancy are related.

"Well, Alena, welcome to the pack. I believe Christian has shown you around?"

I shook my head, looking down at my plate. It was only three quarters empty, but my hunger had disappeared. She doesn't know what's happened today, and I don't know if Christian told her this much yet.

"Oh. I'm sure he'll do it soon. But then again, from the yelling I've heard, maybe not." Her voice went flat, and I saw her short brunette hair sway from side to side. She was shaking her head, a disapproving look on her face before she leaned forward.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She whispered. I don't know. I do and I don't, since im not quite sure myself how I feel about all this, except that I miss my family and that he's a jerk.

"Yes." It came out in a sudden breath, uncontrolled and surprising.

"Well how about we start from the beginning?" Nancy suggested, leaning forward and looking into my eyes. Here we go.

For the next half hour we recalled the previous events, starting from getting captured to when I met him. Then I told her about how he left me alone, and I found him kissing some other girl. She understood me when I told her that I was angry and sort of heartbroken, wrapping a gentle hand around my own comfortingly. After, I explained the trip back to my house and the fact that I miss my family. Nancy had laughed when I told her about Jacob.

"I wish I had a little toddler running around. They're so entertaining and innocent." She smiled softly to herself. "I remember when Chris was like that." She muttered.

"Jacob is adorable, and ever since my brother and his mate had him, it made me want to have one of my own. But now, I'm not so sure."

"One day you will. And when you do, you'll be the happiest woman alive." I smiled, the image of my own little son or daughter running around and laughing. They looked oddly like Christian, and it scared me that I was thinking about my children with him.

Shaking my head quickly, I stood up and placed the dish in the sink.

"Do you know where he is?" I asked.

"Christian went out in a run a couple of hours ago. He hasn't gotten back yet."

"Ok." I muttered, turning back to her. "Could we keep this between us? Please?" Nancy smiled and nodded.

"Of course dear. But take my advice on this: don't ignore him for too long, otherwise he will do something stupid. Eventually he'll beg you to come out, whether he wants to admit it, and then you should let him in."

So she's saying I can ignore him until he starts begging. Huh, sounds pretty good to me. But I hope he learns his lesson.

"Thank you." I smiled, walking towards the door. "Night." Waving, I stepped out and stalked back up to my room, plopping down on the comfy bed and falling asleep almost instantly.