nine

Above is Nancy Bade.

|||

A loud knock sounded at the door, waking me up from my peaceful sleep. It's been two days since I officially moved in, and each day Christian becomes more restless.

"Alena!" He whined behind the door. Nancy's instructions popped up in my head again, but I couldn't tell if he was begging.

"Listen, I know I messed up bad but you can't hide there forever!" Oh really? Watch me.

For the past two days, I've been inside this room, reading or texting. I eat once a day, sneaking out late at night to visit the kitchen. Nancy is always there, stuck on dish duty. That poor woman, I felt bad, so I help her with the massive pile of dishes.

I haven't seen Christian since I moved in, only heard his voice. Each time he would yell, both me and Evangeline would shudder, pleased to hear his voice, even though I would never admit it.

"Please, Alena. I want to talk." He quietly said, just loud enough for me to hear him. I guess now he's somewhat begging, which means its time to give in. I guess hearing him sound so desperate kinda broke my heart, but that doesn't mean I'll just jump into his arms. That boy has to earn my love, even if there is an uncontrollable force that already makes me love him.

Quietly, I tiptoed to the door, unlocking it and swinging the creaky door open. My eyes met a hairy chin, tiny stubs of dark hair sprouting all around Christians face. There were small bags under his silver eyes, which look surprised.

"You actually opened the door?" He whispered. I nodded, suddenly feeling bad that I did this. The guy is a total mess!

"Yeah..." My voice trailed off. A tense atmosphere surrounded the two of us, and the whole time I could practically feel his eyes burn into mine.

"Can we talk? Please?" Whispered Christian. I nodded, opening the door wider so that he could enter. He walked past me and stood by the edge of the bed. I jumped on, waiting for him to sit, but he didn't. It felt kinda awkward to tell him he could sit, so I just sat quietly.

"Listen, Alena. Obviously I've messed up pretty bad, but what you saw isn't what you think. That girl, Dalia, she was supposed to be my next Luna, and so we kinda dated in the past." My heart clenched at the thought of him dating another girl, kissing her repeatedly, maybe doing other things...

He shook his head silently, either answering my unasked question or to himself before carrying on. "She's a bitch, so when I found you I was overjoyed. When I went to tell her that she wasn't going to become Luna, she started bitching and then kissed me, and that's when you walked in."

Ok, to say I was speechless was an understatement. I was stunned, absolutely stunned. This whole time I've been ignoring his ass, thinking that he kissed her, when actually I've gotten it all wrong. Christian was trying to tell me the truth this whole time, and I wouldn't let him.

A harsh sense of guilt began to grow in my throat, and I looked away.

"I'm sorry, Christian." I muttered, trying my best to conceal the humiliation that became prominent in my voice.

Why can't I do anything right anymore? I can't stay with my family, I can't be nice to him! I didn't even give the guy a chance to explain things!

"What's wrong?" He asked, his voice dropping low. I'm a total bitch, that's wrong.

"Nothing."

The bed dipped as a warm set of muscular arms wrapped around me, pulling me toward his body comfortingly. My first instinct was to pull away, but both me and Evan gave into the sensation of his touch.