A Strange Day

I decide to take a walk around the camp to see where everything is. My cabin is in the far left corner, but it is the closest to the mess hall. I start to stroll towards the shining blue gem of a lake when, a basketball hits my feet. The topless guy- Nate, jogs over.

"Hey, you're new here, aren't you?" He bends down to pick up the ball.

"Yeah, I just got in this morning. So is a game going on, or are you practicing by yourself?" I Notion to the basketball in his hands.

"Yeah, we haven't started yet so it's not to late for you to join. That is, if you want to of course." He finishes his sentence quickly.

"Sure! Let me just grab my shoes and I'll meet you at the court". I jog back to my cabin and notice that all the girls have gone down to the dock to sun tan.When I open the door, I stride across the room, dig through my bag for  pair of socks and my shoes. I jog back to the court with my shoes and socks in hand. I see everyone putting their shoes on. I find a spot on the crowded bleachers, and sit down to put my shoes on. I start to put them on when the guy beside me turns and asks of all questions-

"Are those real or knockoffs?"

Well hello to you to. I think to myself

"See for yourself" I hand him my right Glow Nike shoe while putting my left one on.

"Where did you get these? They haven't even come out yet."

"Oh. Well I got them from-" I don't have a chance to explain because Nate began to call everyone to the center line.

"Okay. You all know the drill. Ella, since you are  new here is a quick know how. You are on the opposite team. Let's start." With that, everyone starts to go to their side. The game begins with me and a tall,tanned kid named Jeremy jump for the ball. I, being smaller but a higher jumper, get the ball. I tip it back to a small kid with glasses and he just stands there. I open my hands in a signal for him to pass the ball to me. After what seemed like ages, he passes the ball. I dribble up court and make a break for the hoop. I guess that since I moved around so much nobody remembered who my check was. I jog up and do a lay-up to the hoop. It goes in. Nate's' team gets possession of the ball to bring it up. I still have Jeremy as a check. I feel bad for making him feel useless and wave him over to me.

"You do realize I'm your check right?" It takes him a bit to remember but he shakes his head and follows me back towards the game. Nate, seeing his fellow teammate pick up his check, continues to bring the ball up. He passes to Jeremy when he thinks he sees and opening but makes a mistake. I am never not paying attention. With fast reflects, I grab the ball and make a break away for the hoop. Again, I make a layup. Before I know it its half time. We break into separate areas and have a drink of water. All the kids on my team are drenched in sweat.

"Hey guys.... Sorry for hogging the ball-"

"Are you kidding?! That's the most baskets we have every gotten! Keep doing what you need to. We will back you up. We will defend you while you go for it."

"Oh. Okay, as long as its okay with everyone." I look around at a bunch of sweaty, Rose red faces all smiling and nodding.

We all get called into the center. This time however, Nate is my check. The score is 28-12 for my team. Nate tries to slap the ball from me but I pivot away from him so he ends up slapping air. As I go in for the winning basket, something fly's at me at the same time as me, knocking me to the ground. I land on my arm and I feel something snap. I cry out in pain. As I lay on the ground I see everyone gather around me before everything fades to black.

Edited March 28 2016