The Not-So perfect Date

I look in the mirror and my jaw drops. The person looking back at me isn't me. The person staring back at me looks confident and strong, I'm like a spitting image of my mother. And the dress makes my legs look amazing. The dress Tally picked for me is a short teal mini dress. It goes about mid-thigh. It shows off my neck and collar-bones. It hugs my hips and makes me look like I have curves.

My make-up is a elegant smokey eye and my hair. Where do I start. My usual brown hair is now long and pin-straight. It shows off the copper and blonde highlights and the dark brown low-lights I got a few months ago. My flat bangs are now flipped to the side making my eyes pop.

" Oh mi gosh!!! You look so amazing!" Tally screeches. Tally is wearing a flowing top and some high wasted shorts and a pair of old converse.

"So do you!" I reply with excitement bubbling in my voice. We hear the horn go off in the distance signalling the movie is starting in ten minutes.

"Come on! We still have to go and get the guys." We grab our phones and head out the old screen door. We walk over to the little area where the movie under the stars will be playing. We walk up on the little porch and are greeted by stares. Everyone was staring at us- or more specifically, me. I see Luke over by his friends smirk at me. I smirk back. We walk a little further onto the porch,looking for the guys. We see a crowd around the front of the little amphitheater.

"What's going on?" I ask Tally.

"Oh. I bet it isn't working. Sometimes it does that but don't worry to much about it. They always fix it." Tally tells me.

"Maybe I should go and try to help." I reply while walking over there. Tally grabs my arm.

"You can't." She tells me " Only the nerdy people help with computer things." She tells me with a dead serious face.

"Well hate to break it to you but I was a nerd. And I still am." I tell her while taking my arm from her grasp. I approach the table with the computer with people surrounding a person in the chair typing furiously at the keyboard.

"Guys!" He says throwing his hands up in the air. The people jump a little from his sudden outburst.

"Give a guy some space." He exclaims furiously.

"Umm. Can I you know.. Help?" I ask. They all look at me like I have a third head or something.

"What? Why are you staring at me for?" I ask them. The one at the computer snorts.

"I doubt someone like YOU could fix the computer." He puts emphasis on the word you.

"What are you trying to say?" I ask tilting my head to the side, adding to the act I was putting on.

"Well obviously you don't know the difference between a router and a monitor." He says to me while making his friends crack up.

"Well would it hurt to let me have a chance?" I ask batting my eyelashes while twirling a piece of my hair around my finger. I see his cheeks tinge red and he pushes his glasses up on his face more.

"Fine. I guess you can't mess it up even more." He gets out of the chair and motions me to sit. I take a seat and look at the computer screen. I can feel all the old tips my father used to give me back when my mom was alive. My eyes scan the screen and I notice a little notification on the bottom right screen. I click it and a bunch of computer talk comes up. My fingers fly across the screen, typing in the answers to the requests given by the computer database. Within minutes the title screen of the movie we are watching comes up on the wall from the projector.

"Wha? How? How did you do that?" Nerd boy asks. I turn to face him putting my sweetest smile.

"Next time, try asking instead of assuming. I wasn't always this pretty. I had a life outside of gossiping and shopping. My dad helped me." I turn on my heel and walk over to Tally.

"You know you just out-smarted to  smartest kid in the camp right??" She whisper yells.

"So? All I did was fix the projector." She just rolls her eyes and leads me over to the food stand. I grab a tray and start piling a little bit of everything. Two arms circle around my waist and I suck in a breath.

"Hey beautiful." A husky voice says from behind me. I finish putting the junk food on the tray. Then I hold up a gummy worm behind me. When I feel it beginning to be pulled from the other end, I turn around in the arms and take the other end in my mouth. I see the surprise in Jeremy's eyes. Just as our lips are about to touch I bite my piece off and chew it. I look smugly at his pursed lips, still awaiting the touch of mine. I stifle a laugh and giggle a little. I turn around and start putting some popcorn into a bowl they provide us with. He leans close to me, and whispers

"That wasn't nice you know." I just giggle in response. I put the popcorn on the tray and tell him to show us where we are sitting for the night.

"So" I trail off.

"Yes?" He asks picking up my hand and playing with my fingers.

"Is this.. You know... Our first date?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yeah. I think it is." He replies with a smile. He leans against the couch and I lean on him. He puts his arm around my shoulder and I pout the popcorn on my lap so both of us can eat it. The movie starts to play. We both get really into it. Soon enough we are done the popcorn, so I bring up the candy and chips I put on the try. Right when the action scene is on, the power goes out. I guess nobody noticed the thunder storm outside. Everyone starts hustling around trying to find their friends.

"Wanna get outta here?" I ask him. He nods. We open the door to be greeted with a gust of cold wind and the smell of rain. He hands me his jacket and I put it over my head. We make a jog for the cabins. He comes to mine with me to make sure I got here alright.

"Well. That was an interesting date that's for sure." I joke trying to lighten to mood. We walk up the old steps when we reach my cabin. He pulls me into a wet hug.

" I'm sorry it didn't turn out okay. I really am sorry." He lowers his head in shame. I put my index finger under his chin and raise it so he is looking at me.

"It was interesting. One I won't forget. Trust me." I slide my hand from his chin to the back of his neck. I bring his head down for a kiss when we hear a voice.

"Ahem. Mr. Golde. What are you doing over in the girls cabin area?" Mr Chef asks us.

Edited March 28 2016