• school directory and failed talks •

• chapter seven •

==============================================================================

I came home to an empty house, my parents probably still at work working the all-day shift.

I lugged my backpack upstairs along with the Doritos I had hidden behind the pantry and a liter of coke.

I flopped on my fluffy bed, stripping down into my bra and underwear.

I ripped open the plastic bag, shoving the chips into my mouth and downing it with a large gulp of the fizzy drink.

I thought of what Jared and I had said before we parted ways.

"You know, we're all the same"

"No. No we're not"

But--but we are all the same. We all have flesh, bones, and blood. Yes, we all are a different color but that doesn't mean we're different.

I groaned, my head hurting from all of this thinking of someone that doesn't even care about me.

I shoved another handful of cool ranch chips into my mouth.

I chomped loudly, flipping open my apple lap top and pressing the power button on.

I flung myself down onto my bed, brushing the chip dust of my fingers. I licked the dust off of my lips, thinking--again.

Maybe if I talked to him . . . But would it work? Maybe I could ask him why we are not the same and actual have a civil conversation? Will he even allow me into his house?

My laptop was on the homepage and I grunted as I sat up, knowing I would have have to do some ab exercises to get rid of this flab. I typed in my school website, searching the website for the online school directory.

I found it in a matter of seconds, excited butterflies flapping in my stomach.

I clicked on the link and it pulled up another tab of the school directory listing all of the students addresses and numbers.

I flipped through many of the digital pages, finally finding his last name in F--Jared Fallen.

His address and number (work and house) was located below his name. I ripped a sheet of paper from my binder and quickly scribbled down the numbers and address.

Why was I even doing this? Did I really--like, like, him? Why am I always trying to talk to him and help him, then?

I sighed, already confused of these feelings for Jared.

==

It was in the evening when I finally decided to head over to his house. His address was unknown to me but I guess it wouldn't be unknown until I got there.

I dressed warm, the chilly air already blowing through the air.

My parents still weren't home and I haven't received a call or text so I'm guessing they were coming in the early AM.

I tugged my Ugg boots on, zipping my white puffy jacket on and pulling the hoodie up to shield the cold air from me.

I yanked open the door and shut it behind me, swiftly locking the door.

I hurried to my car and climbed in, jamming my key into the slot and the hot air instantly blasted throughout the car.

Once it was warmed up, I pulled out of my driveway, heading towards Jared's house.

==

I reached Jared's home in 15 minutes, ending up in the ghetto part of town.

The whole neighborhood was run down and old, some houses wide awake with music pounding throughout the house and loud voices heard. In the distant, gun shots and rowdy gangs roaming their territory.

I stumbled towards the molding door, knocking gently.

The door was instantly swung open by a beautiful women with lean muscles and tight curly hair tied back by a bandana. Her eyes were identical to Jared's along with his thick lips and milk chocolate skin.

A bright smile brought her lips up, "How may I help you?" she added quietly after, "Are you Jared's girlfriend?"

My eyes widened and my cheeks turned a rosy red. "No! I'm his . . . Friend"

His mother (I assumed) winked, "It's okay, sugar, we can just keep it between you and I."

I opened my mouth to protest but decided to shut it, knowing she would continue to tease me.

"May I please see Jared?" I politely asked, offering a small smile.

She winked again and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. I blushed a dark red and she laughed out loud, a gorgeous sound.. "Hun, I'm just messing with you!" Jared's mom held out her hand. "My name is Kelly Fallen. You may call me Kelly."

I shook her strong hand and she led me to Jared's room.

His bedroom door was painted with a navy blue, chipped slightly and scribbled on with multiple colors of markers.

Kelly slammed open the door, surprising Jared and twin brothers jumping on him.

"Ma! There's something called knocking!" he complained, gently pushing his brothers off of him.

His brown eyes then connected with mine. "What are you doing here? How did you find out where I live?" Jared sneered angrily, his fingers clenching into his tight fist. He advanced towards me roughly, a scowl present on his full lips.

I stood my ground and stared him down. "I came here to talk."

"Well, I don't want to fucking talk!" He roared before slamming the bedroom door into my face.