Chapter 1: The Family

A silver flash swept through the undergrowth, running on all fours at the speed of a jaguar. It passed through the trees easily, slipping through much like a snake. Iron wings were opened slightly, guiding its form as it ran. To anyone looking overhead it would seem as if a silver light struck the forest. To anyone on the ground it was gone to fast to even register.

It found its way up a mountainside, leaping from rock to rock as easily as a mountain goat. It had slowed down now, and its form was visible now. A dragon, or what could be seen as a dragon. It had the same shape and structure. Four legs, a tail, a pair of wings and horns, and yellow scales winding from its sharp talons to cover its underbelly and sides. But there was something different about this dragon that would make you look twice. What could only be described as iron covered its back and stretched along its wings creating a beautiful silver sheen that seemed to be almost mirror like. The metal covered its tail and wound up its neck, covering only the top of its body much like a shell.

It flared its wings in the last jump to the top of the mountain, screeching to a stop on sharper then normal talons. It was about the size of a large horse, suggesting a rather young age. Maybe five or six. A teenager in dragon years. Its slim figure suggested it was female, with thin wings and a narrow tail.

She turned and looked over the valley she had just run through with a small sigh. It was a beautiful sight. A long lush forest stretched into the distance, full of many animals that made excellent prey for dragons. Towards the middle was a large lake that made quite a lovely bathing place. Mountains surrounded either side, protecting the inhabitants from the outside influence of humans and their despicable ways. A paradise.

A rustle of movement caught her attention and she turned to see two red dragons burst forth from the forest. They ran side by side, eager to beat the other to the top where the metallic dragoness was waiting. She could only grin at the two males' competitiveness. One suddenly lashed out with his tail, catching the others legs and tripping him up. A laugh followed as the red dragon bounded up beside the female.

"You boys are impossible," said the female with a small chuckle.

"Say's you," snorted the male with a flick of his tail, "Your like the fastest on four legs, though in the air I reckon I could catch up."

He flared his wings just to make his point. The dragoness rolled her eyes, knowing only to well how superior in the air she was. Her speed on the ground was nothing compared to the speed in the sky.

"Silver could you bight him for me!" yelled the other male with a growl as he pulled himself from where he had been stuck between two rocks.

He was the biggest of the three, and in Silver's opinion the dumbest. While he was nearly impossible to defeat in an all out fight, brawn and fire were the only things he used to attack. Never speed or cunning, something that she prided herself on.

The other red dragon had heard the threat and jumped backwards before Silver had a chance to grab at him. She only grinned sweetly at her brother and turned towards the other one that slowly crawled up the side of the mountain.

"Stop being a hatchling Blaze," Silver called, "Get up here before Dad gets here."

Blaze snorted with annoyance and pulled himself up to the small plateau where Silver and his brother were. He shook himself and checked his wings and scales for any scuff marks. To his annoyance a small amount of dirt had smudged across his usually ruby red scales. He glared at his brother.

"You're going to pay for that Raize," he said.

Raize only grinned cheekily. He was the troublemaker of the lot, always tricking their parents and other dragons. Occasionally he got into huge trouble with other dragons, and only his rank as the leader's son got him out off being kicked from the valley. He was now under watch and was forbidden to leave the cave unless told, like now.