Chapter 21: The Hierarchy

"As with all new dragons, our leader Iraliene will want to meet you in person," Kai spoke in Drakin, "Now if you would just... wait, here she comes."

He looked over the group to a light green dragon who was approaching with leisurely speed. She was a healing dragon, or life dragon, with glittering light green scales that seemed to shine with an odd brilliance. One that would make females jealous and males swoon. She was easily the biggest dragon any of the dragons had ever seen, even larger then Tetrad. Her wing beats seemed slow and calculated, like she knew exactly what her body was going to do, and she flew with a grace only brought by experience.

As she flew over the new group of dragons their gazes followed her, transfixed by the glory she represented. She had always done this. Every time a new group of dragons, especially a large group, came to Sky Mountain. It was easier to talk to them then, and they were much more likely to accept her as their leader. She smiled at them, her flashing teeth sharp and shaped to perfection.

With a graceful sweep of her wings she came down to a well-rehearsed landing, not even shaking the ground despite her bulk. Her domineering yellow eyes struck through the dragons in front of her, and was delighted when they looked away. They could see how powerful she was, how brilliant she was. They could see she was the leader, and no one would dare to challenge her authority. A brilliant start, but expected when she had been doing this same act for over four hundred years.

There was one dragon however that didn't fall for her entrance, or the fanciful well timed movements that were all the sign of confidence, strength and leadership. No. A dragoness with a strange silver shell that sparkled gloriously in the flickering light stared right back at her, matching her piecing gaze with one just as dominant. Something that was unexpected from a dragon so young. All well, she had met with dragons like this before. They were trouble at the beginning but afterwards they fell into line.

She turned her gaze to the other dragons in a deliberate pause, searching for any other dragons that were strong enough in will to challenge her rule. None. Happy she proceeded to bow. Not to low, not to high. A graceful sweep of the wings to add effect, and raise.

"Hello, my new subordinates," she spoke in the most eloquent Drakin the dragons had likely heard, "I am Elder Iraliene, leader of Sky Mountain for nigh on two hundred and seventy six years. And I welcome you with open wings," she proceeded to open her wings in the most glorious manner, "We are glad to have you here, for every dragon that arrives strengthens us, every dragon gives our species a more momentous chance of survival. So yes, welcome, welcome."

A few of the dragons in the crowd murmured an appreciative thanks.

"Am I right to assume that you have escaped from the ruthless organisation D.E.D?" Iraliene asked.

There was a nod and a murmured 'yes' from the crowd.

"I notice the collar marks around your neck," a truth, "I see you are malnourished, your scales are sick, your claws dull. Here, you will grow. Here you will become great. Here you all will have the life you have wanted, free of D.E.D. Here, you will have an opportunity for revenge."

Heads looked up at that. It was a winning point.

"Here we fight to rid the world of corporations like D.E.D and A.O.D.H. Here we fight to rid the world of the tyranny of dragon hunters and we will find a way to destroy them all, so we can live in peace once again. The only thing that I ask is you respect the dragons that are situated above you. In perhaps a few years you will travel up the hierarchy, but until then do your best to help us in Sky Mountain, and we will see you set free from the fear of humans."