Chapter 2 - A new dawn for Tom and Leo

The Lighthouse Hotel chapter 2 - A new dawn for Tom and Leo

It was a cool morning with variable cloud with a hint of fret lingering in the air when Tom awoke from his slumber at their temporary accommodation.

As he opened his eyes he noticed that it was still quite early because the sunshine had only just began to peep through a small gap in the curtains.

He reached over to his alarm clock and noticed that it was now 6am.After getting out of his warm bed he removed his night shirt,put on his bathrobe and made his way towards the unopened curtains.

Slowly he opened them up and observed the sea view and surrounding harbour,he was delighted by the majestic presence of "The Beachy Head Lighthouse".

There was another building which was annexed to the lighthouse namely the new hotel which was now taking shape and looked splendid in appearance even from this great distance.

He was really becoming excited at the prospect of seeing the hotel in it's development stage which once finalised would be his new place of work and home for both himself and Leo.

In the next room Leo was sleeping and completely oblivious that Tom was about to depart for the said location.

Both Tom and Leo had been afforded a room by an old business friend whom he had met during his time in Solentville.The friend had offered the room during the time of the construction until the hotel was finished.

Leo suddenly awoke to the sound of footsteps,it was a creaky old staircase and Tom had tried his best to quietly make his way down to the bottom of the stairs.

Leo quickly sprang out of bed in an instant and caught sight of His father as he was just making his way down the stairs.

-

Leo- Dad where are you going at this early hour in the morning?.

Tom- Hello you !!! I'm just off out to inspect the hotel and see how the construction and renovations are progressing.

Leo- Oh I see,do you mind if I join you?,it won't take me two ticks to get changed.

Tom- Alright I'll be just outside sat on a bench in the garden having a smoke,see you shortly.

-

It was only a short distance from where they were staying to their new home as both of them made their way down the old cobbled streets of Portland.

On their arrival they noticed the usual collection of building vehicles on site and the building equipment which lay idol.There was a fair amount of rubbish which had built up during the construction work.

Tom appeared pleased with how quickly the new hotel was now taking shape and he was convinced that it was on schedule for completion within the next week or so.

There would be an open day where all of the locals would be invited to inspect the new premises and give their feedback on the new hotel.

Access was however restricted to the outer areas of the new building and entrance to the actual hotel was not permitted due to health and safety issues relating to hazardous substances which might still be present within the building.

The hotel would need to be thoroughly checked out although it was probably safe to visit.It would require a health and safety licence before completion was achieved this would involve a full fire check and structural analysis.

Work was expected to get underway again in a few hours time and Tom was eager to speak with the foreman in charge of overseeing operations.

A temporary office had been set up for Tom to use during this busy time from where he could keep his eye on the progress that was being made on site.

Luckily he had remembered to bring the key to the office as he opened the door to the portakabin and began to check his mail.

Leo meanwhile had put the kettle on and was inspecting the cupboard to see if there were any supplies of tea and biscuits.

-

Tom- I'm afraid we are out of milk Leo so the drinks will have to wait,I think there is a garage just down the road which might be open though I don't know if they sell milk.
Perhaps you could check it out whilst I am opening this huge pile of mail.

-

Leo- Ok dad will do,is there anything else we might need whilst I'm out?

Tom- No I think we are alright for now,oh it looks like completion will be on time,let me see it's scheduled for next Thursday,that gives us 6 days.

Right ok see you soon Leo and try not to get lost .

Leo- Ok dad I think I can find my way to this garage,it's just down the road you say?.