Finally

Devynn's POV

I was stuck in the suitcase for a couple of more days. This time, however, I never felt claustrophobic. Wyat's dad gave me hope. He was going to help me. My breathing was even, and my heartbeat was steady. Fear inflicted my thoughts repeatedly. What if he doesn't succeed? What if I become too late to save? What if he's tricking me, and really is in on it all along?

Whenever I thought these three things, my hope would dim, but flare up again as I tried to convince myself that it would all be okay. By the time I could have sworn to be three days later, I heard footsteps coming downstairs. "Wyat! Don't forget my protein shake mix!" Wyat's dad was coming downstairs. I heard a quiet agreement, a door slam, and the sound of an engine fading away from the house.

I glanced up just as Wyat's dad opened the suitcase. I was about to fall out again, but was caught in his arms. He smiled down at me. "I don't think I've introduced myself. My name's Jay, and I seem to be unfortunate enough to be Wyat's dad." My laugh was muffled. His eyes widened as he seemed to remember I was tied up. He apologized in advance, and pulled the duct tape. I bit back a yelp of pain.

Jay set me down, and started untying the ropes. He muttered about how ashamed he was. I just stared at my lap, nervous about speaking. He finished getting the ropes off, and helped me stand. My legs gave out, and I fell to the ground. Jay leaned down, and put my arm over his shoulder, wrapping his around my waist, and supported me as we went upstairs.

Once we were all the way up into the master bedroom, Jay lightly set me down in a cushioned chair. I curled up into the chair, as Jay squat down next to me. "What's your name?" He asked me softly. I shook my head, not wanting to speak. Jay pulled out his phone and handed it to me. "Can you at least type it out for me?"

I nodded, and quickly typed my name in. "Devynn Gray." He read aloud. I nodded, and leaned back into the chair. Jay stood up and typed into his phone. It started ringing, and Jay glanced at me before answering.

"Yes, Wyat?" I froze. Wyat started talking. Jay pinched the bridge of his nose, "Not an actual shake. The powder mix you put in the blender." I sighed with relief. Jay glanced at me and finished talking to Wyat. Hanging up, he walked back over to me. "Devynn, Wyat is going to be home soon. I don't have time to put you back where you were. Come with me." He supported me again, and took me to his closet. I sat inside, hidden by some clothes.

Jay promised again to come back, and I promised to stay silent. Soon enough, I heard the garage open from underneath me. Wyat was home. I stayed silent, like I promised, but my heartbeat seemed to try and give me away. Wyat had entered the house, and was arguing with Jay downstairs. I pulled my legs closer to my body, trying to become more hidden as I heard both men coming upstairs.

A door burst open down the hall, and slammed shut. The door to Jay's room opened quietly, and Jay appeared on the other side of the closet door. He found me, and held out some crackers. "It's small, but with the absence of food you had, your stomach can't handle very much." He explained. I accepted the food gratefully. Nibbling on the crackers, I watched Jay perk, and leave the room.

I sat and listened for a while. Deeming it safe, I leaned forward, glancing at the clock opposite of the closet doors. 8:34. One glance at the window told me it was night. I leaned back into my little abode in the closet. Taking, a deep breath, I closed my eyes, feeling safe to do so for the first time in a while.

Jay's POV
I picked up on the sound of Wyat's door opening. I stood up and left the room silently. Who would have known that my army training would have prepared for my own son's cruelty. My own son! My mind was clouded with anger at the thought. He didn't deserve to be anyone's son, with how utterly evil he was.