Stage Set

Let me set the stage...
Jettens High School
Third period
Right after the bell rang.
Crowds were heading to lunch.
A group of girls walk in the middle as the crowd parts for them.

"Watch for Kilee." I turn to regard who spoke to me. A guy holding a stick, which was curved at the end, stands behind me. "And who exactly is informing me on such interesting information?" I reply sarcastically. "Come on. Am I not that important to you?" Garren says in mock distress. I laugh and keep walking.

I miss three days and social statuses change. The Queen Bee gets overthrown and Kilee Hawl takes the crown. I've heard rumors about her, but that doesn't change my feelings toward the Perfs. If anything, it just ranks that group even lower on my I-"totally"-care-about-you list.

Well, this term is off to a weird start. "Hey, you coming to the game tonight?" Garren asks. I shrug my shoulders. "It depends on which one you're talking about." He laughs and grabs a puck out of his pocket and drops it. "You're gonna get caught." I tease him. And he does. Almost instantly, Mr. Marks is in front of Garren and leans down to grab the puck.

"My office." The two walk off, and Garren gives me a quick look that makes me laugh. I sober up immediately when Mr. Marks looks over. I start walking again and bump into, of course, the Perfs.

"Oh, I'm sorry, sweetie, I didn't see you there. Not like it was hard to miss." Kilee stands in front, wearing six inch heels, making it so she was barely as tall as me. How she could walk in those and not break her ankle was beyond me, but I wasn't worried about it right now. "What do you want Kilee?" I am slightly annoyed already. I am the tallest girl in school without heels. I am very hard to miss. Everyone says so.

Kilee looks at her friends before turning back to me. "Why would you assume that?" She says in a accusatory voice. I am getting more annoyed by the minute. "You never come over here." I reply gesturing to the area. It was the part of the cafeteria that was practically banned from Pop presence.

She snickers. I hate it when people snicker. It is so annoying! She lifts her little manicured hand as if to examine them. "I was just wondering about your little play thing." I stare at her, "What play thing?" She walks by me and whispers, "Your little boyfriend, Garren."

I back away from the girls. "We are not dating. We're just friends. Why don't you find someone else's life to ruin?" I turn away and leave. As I walk, I can hear them giggling. "Right," One says, "Friends."

This is stupid. I am done, so I call my mom and have her pick me up. When I get to my room, I plop on my bed and grab my phone. I already have a lot of texts, but I don't want to answer them. Even if they are from Garren.