Just wing it

James lay awake on his back, listening to the pounding rain outside the dome. The children had done almost the same thing he had done at the information center, but in the employee break room. They had taken emergency blankets they had found and made a nest on the floor, and when they were in the room, they stacked chairs against the door to prevent anything from getting in.

When Sam and Sera had shown James the room he had been impressed. These kids were smart, James thought. I guess with a grandma like Mrs. White, it would be kinda hard not to be.

At first James stayed away from the nest, keeping watch and trying to stay awake. There were small windows, too small for anything to force its way thorough, but James wasn't taking chances.

James had asked Sam for the flashlight, and would check the room every now and then. An hour after it started raining, the thunder started. Sara had woken, and was clutching her brother, who was already staring wide eyed into the darkness.

"James!" Came a whisper. James heard his name and turned on the flashlight, pointing it toward the low ceiling to allow for a soft glow that almost illuminated the whole room.

"What is it?" Thunder rumbled as he spoke, and the twins winced. "Ah," James said. His sister would often run into his bedroom and hide under the covers of his bed when there was a thunder storm. James smiled sadly, he missed his sister, and his entire family. He couldn't help but start thinking of these twins as an extension of his family, and to have an older brother protective instinct over them. James stood from where he had been sitting next to the door and walked over to the twins and kneeled in front of them. "What do you need?"

"Could you stay with us? In the bed?" Sam asked in a small voice, and Sara nodded her agreement.

"We usually climb into our parents bed during storms." Sara added.

James looked at the two, and was reminded again of his little sister. 'You won't let it get me, will you?' She had said, his comforter, normally spread over his bed wrapped around her head making her look like Jabba the hut. 'No baby bear, I won't' He would say.

"Sure." He said snapping back to the present, he switched off the flashlight and crawled in between the siblings. Another bolt of lightening struck, lighting up the room, and Sam and Sera pressed their backs against James for comfort. James smiled. Just like his little sister, he thought.

Eventually the children's breathing became deep and even, the tension in their bodies from the day and the fear of thunder melted away as sleep granted its sweet release. James, on the other hand, stayed wide awake.

He lay on his back, staring up into the darkness overhead. A plan, his brain was saying, you need a plan. Tomorrow would be the start of the third day. By the fifth day, a rescue party might come, and they needed to be near the human portion of the park in order to wait for the helicopter. He needed to meet up with Mrs. White before he went to the main square. James wanted to find the quickest way possible to get to the first aid station.

But what if Mrs. White hadn't made it? James pondered that question for a bit, but dismissed it almost immediately. Mrs. White could take care of herself.

And then there was that thing Sam had said about his iguana. James knew that reptiles were cold blooded, and that they slowed down when it was cold, but he also remembered reading somewhere that the dinosaurs were large enough that they could maintain a constant body heat. It was cold right now, and the T-Rex certainly had become slow, but that could be a result from the wound in its leg.

So many uncertainties, and James didn't like uncertainties. James hadn't realized that his mind was going slower and that his eye lids felt like they had weights attached to them, until he fell asleep. And even then, his dreams were a replay of the day's events, and concern for the next day.