I'm so Blue

Mrs. White and James had sat watching the storm blow the jungle trees this way and that while sipping a much needed cup of coffee. The nap had been refreshing, but the coffee had that extra kick that James needed to shake off the sleep.

Being the first awake, he and Mrs. White discussed their options for getting off the island. James found conversation with this white haired wonder easy, and he guesses that surviving life-threatening situations made a kind of blood bond between people.

Sara had been the next to wake, making her way tiredly over to her grandma before curling up into her grandma's lap to watch the rain. Sam had burst out of the cot room a few minutes later, wild-eyed and panicked. He calmed when he noticed the group sitting around the table. Sam mumbled something about a bad dream before wandering around the cabin.

James stared out into the rain and wondered how he was going to get this little family to safety. He couldn't help but feel responsible for all of these people he had come across on the island, even though they were not blood related. He looked over at Sam, who was still pacing back and fourth, looking like a caged and worried animal. James was impressed with the little guy, he was quick to think on his feet, and even though James was a little ashamed to admit it, they might not have made it to this cabin without him.

Watching Sam reminded James of a camping trip he and his dad had once taken, a long time ago. They had decided to go explore a cave they had found and had foolishly forgotten extra batteries for their flashlights, and had wound up lost in the dark in the cave.

"Come to think of it, I was about seven myself." James thought as he took another sip of coffee. He had panicked, screamed at the top of his lungs for someone to come find them,and had actually wept when he thought no one would come for him and his dad. James smiled at the memory of his father finding him in the dark and wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

"James, we're going to be alright." His dad had said in a calm voice. "I need you to be brave, and help me think of a way out of this situation." They had sat a long time in the dark after that, discussing how to get out of the cave. James wanted to move, but his father said that was a bad idea.

"Do you remember which way we came in?" James hadn't and they had sat for a long time, bouncing ideas off of one another. Eventually, James had an idea.

"Have you noticed that our voices echo? What if someone was having a hard time finding us because of that? Maybe if we were quiet, and used a rock or something to send morse code?" His dad had agreed, and for the next two hours they took turns using rocks to tap out the only morse code either of them knew: S.O.S. His mom had called the park rangers after his dad didn't call for a daily update, and they had found the cave after tracking the father and son from the campsite. In the end, the morse code had helped.

"You did the right thing." The ranger had said as they had driven James and his father back to their campsite. "Yelling in caves often disorientates people. Rhythmic knocking makes it easier to find people. And you stayed put, it would have been bad if we had to evacuate either or both of you because you fell into a cavern and broke something." Ever since then, James had always been slightly claustrophobic, and a wee bit afraid of the dark, though he would never admit it to anyone.

James looked again at Sam, who was making his way toward one of the cots and wondered if the litte guy was traumatized by any of this like James was at the cave.

Sam was a whole other story. After the danger had passed, something had woken inside, something that had become addicted to adrenaline and danger. He paced back and fourth in the small living/dining area of the cabin which he had come to think as his prison in the short time they had been staying there. The storm was his captor, he thought, keeping him from exploring the adventure filled jungle outside. He didn't understand how his grandmother and sister could be so calm. There was one mystery that Sam's little brain was working on besides the jungle, and was driving him almost as crazy.