16~ By Your Side

Five minutes later, she walked back out, closing the door behind her, now without most of her books and changed into shorts, a jumper, fluffy socks and boots.

She walked back to Damien's place, opening the door and quietly closing it behind her.

Silently padding into the living room, she looked around and saw Damien on the sofa, seemingly asleep, head dropped back, breathing softly.

He looked awful.

Bruised up again, bloodstains that hadn't been completely cleaned, swellings, cuts, bandages.

Deacon's head suddenly appeared over the top of the sofa and he rushed off the sofa to join her, pushing his nose into her hand before going back to Damien and then back to her.

"I know, puppy, it's ok," she whispered, stroking his head before going into the kitchen.

She pulled out an ice pack and wrapped it in a towel. Then poured a glass of water and dampened another towel, gathering everything into her arms and walking over to the sofa.

"Damien," she said softly, setting everything on the table and leaning forwards, peering at him with only moonlight through the front wall window to light to damage to his face. She reached forwards, gently pushing some of his sweat streaked hair away from his eyes and the speed that Damien got away from her sent her reeling back in fright and fall over as he scrambled back, staring around, a fist raised like he was ready to hit something, eyes wild until he saw her.

"Clarissa," he gasped, staring, before actually taking in the situation and quickly leaning forwards, reaching for her. "I'm sorry," he said, "I'm sorry, I was just startled."

"I'm... sorry," Clarissa said, still stunned by the speed he'd been able to move.

And that look in his eye.

Completely different from the guy she'd got to know over the last few weeks.

Aggressive and defensive and... scared. There had been a flash of fear in his eyes.

And yet, that was all gone now as he leaning forwards, taking her hands to help her up.

"Sorry," she said again, getting to her feet, "I didn't mean to sneak up on you."

"No, it's fine," Damien said, pushing to get to his own feet and Clarissa put a hand on his chest, stopping him, planting him back in his seat before pushing the water into his hand. He looked at it in confusion and Clarissa popped two pills from their casing and held them out to him.

He grimaced. "Ah, no, I'm alright."

She frowned at him. "Take them. They'll help with all... this," she said, gesturing to the entirety of his face.

"Thanks," he said, frowning at her before waving them away. "But really no."

"Damien," Clarissa growled.

He looked up and flattened himself back against the sofa as she loomed over him, apparently ready to force-feed him the drugs if she had to.

"Ok! Ok! Stop being so scary!" he said, taking them away from her and swallowing them with most of the water.

She sank down beside him as he finished the drink, watching as he settled back again and let out a long, low sigh, closing his eyes.

She just looked at him for a while.

He looked awful. His face - usually so, so handsome - was wrecked. What the hell was he doing that he refused to tell her? His brothers were involved so it couldn't be illegal, right? They wouldn't be doing anything to put him in danger, surely.