38 ~ Chances

Drake Sinclair stared at his daughter for a long, long time after her statement, then let out a slow breath through his nose, resting his cheek on his knuckles.

"Explain," he said again, his tone low.

Clarissa looked at him in surprise. Not because he had asked her to explain – she had expected that – it was because he had asked her in a tone that wasn't angry. He wasn't annoyed at her – yet.

"I quit because I knew you wanted us to date and I was scared that not living up to his expectations might mean he'd break up with me and then you'd be mad at me for ruining things for you. I know how much keeping good relations with his father means to you for business."

"And yet here you are telling me you're going to wreck that relationship."

"I can only go so far, the rest you have to do alone," she said and the words surprised her father so much he actually started laughing.

"Well, can't say a parent should ever hear that from his own child," he said. "So, you felt obligated to date Brett."

"I didn't feel obligated. Originally, I wanted to date him. I felt obligated to keep the relationship going... like Mum. But I don't love Brett the way mum loves you."

"Sometimes you have to tough things out, whether you want to or not," her dad said.

"Sometimes, true... not this time though."

Her dad sighed, his shoulders visually drooping with the breath. "This could ruin a major business relationship you know. Brett's father really wants you two to get married."

"As you do."

"I don't care if you marry the boy or not, I just want my business deal."

Clarissa frowned at her father and he shrugged.

"It's the truth. This could ruin things, badly. I might as well disinherit you for all the trouble you'd cause. Mr. Cole is a major channel into the American market."

Clarissa's blood chilled as her father spoke.

Most people would have taken what he'd said as exaggeration, Clarissa knew he meant it. He would really disinherit her if he wanted to.

She looked down.

Her mother used to call her father a drama-queen and he was. He went to the extremes with everything, doing things for reasons in ways no one else did.

She set her water down and looked at her dad as the thought of her mother came back.

"That's ok."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Oh yes?"

"I know you mean it, however flippant your tone is, I know you mean it. I've seen you do worse to people for much smaller reasons with much less care... but I don't mind."

"And why don't you mind? You realise I'm taking away your future, correct?"

"I do... but Mum will never disinherit me from her will and we both know that not even you can make her change that. I'm safe regardless of your financial threats so I can cause you trouble because I want to get out and not worry about the repercussions from you. If you're as good at your job as everyone says you are, you'll keep relations with Mr. Cole without me."

Her father narrowed his eyes at her, then slowly smiled, his eyes darkening as he looked at his daughter.

"Alright," he said slowly, softly, "You have now got my attention."