36 ~ Silver Lining

"Was your grandfather Dermot O'Catháin?"

Damien looked over his shoulder to find Clarissa's mother stood behind him. He quickly turned around, closing the post box to his apartment.

He frowned in confusion at the question. "Ur, yeah, how did you know that?" he asked, glancing around for Clarissa, spotting her through the reception doors, across the courtyard with Darcy and the kids, collecting her brother.

"Unlike the rest of my family, I actually take an interest in the boxing world. I take it you're Cillian O'Catháin then."

"Yeah," Damien muttered, looking down, "yeah, I am."

"I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother," Mrs. Sinclair said, "I read in an article once that you started boxing as a way to look after her, was that true?"

"Yeah, it was, it was how I got into the sport."

"Well, I suppose I can understand that mental block then."

Damien looked at her in surprise and she smiled.

"So, I take it you're my daughter's newest best friend," she continued, the conversation veering wildly in a new direction.

"Oh, yeah, I guess, we are kind of best friends."

"And how is she? As her best friend, what do you think of her boyfriend? I know Charlotte hates him and both Adam and Jacob aren't fans. What's your take?"

Damien bit his lower lip, sliding his hand into his pocket. "I... well I think..."

"Do you dislike him?"

"Can I be honest?"

"It's what I'm hoping for."

"I hate him," Damien said, "I don't know if Clarissa has been keeping you up-to-date about what's been going on over the last few months but he's god-awful to her. He scares her, makes her cry, leaves bruises on her when he's both drunk and sober and has called her a range of demoralising names." He shrugged. "He doesn't deserve her and Clarissa won't end things with him. I don't think she's doing well, I'm scared she's going to become too timid and too meek and she won't be anything like herself one day... but that's just me and my thoughts."

Mrs. Sinclair smiled at that. "Then can I ask you a favour?"

"Sure."

"Look out for her."

Damien's eyebrow rose in surprise.

"She doesn't come home much; she very much lives by her own merit. If her dad allowed it, she would get herself a job and earn her money instead of take the money given to her. She's independent and strong minded in her own way, but at the same time she can be intimidated by aggressive men. That comes from having a father like hers. You're a boxer but are you an aggressive man?"

Damien frowned. "Not hugely," he admitted, "I mean, at least not to Clarissa – and she fights back anyway."

"Then look out for her. She may need some help with Brett in the near future. I'd feel better knowing someone had her back."

"Of course, I'll do what I can," Damien promised and she smiled. "Oh, and I'm sorry I didn't realise who you were when we met," he added and Mrs. Sinclair laughed.

"Oh don't worry about that, love. Clarissa has never been one to boast about her who her family is. The Sinclair name comes with a lot of baggage and people behave strangely when they find out."

Damien bit his lip and Mrs. Sinclair gave him a knowing smile.

"Don't let that knowledge change things between you two," she said gently.