42 ~ Only Love

Damien walked out of the kitchen with two steaming mugs and clicked his tongue at Deacon who had taken up residence on Clarissa's lap. The Doberman begrudgingly shifted out of the way, and the Chihuahua sprung up off the floor and took Deacon's spot, leaving the huge attack dog to sulk on the other side of the sofa.

Damien handed Clarissa one of the mugs of hot chocolate and sat down opposite her, blowing on the steam as Deacon came over to him and nuzzled his hand – trying to get onto his lap instead.

"You were very brave, facing Brett alone," he said as he settled back.

"I actually hadn't intended to be alone with him," Clarissa said, crossing her legs on the sofa, "I hadn't even intended to break up with him today, but he was here when I got back home from seeing my dad and one thing led to another."

"How did you father take the news?"

"Turns out telling him that Brett had left a few bruises on me was enough to quickly bring him around to seeing things my way."

"Well, he is a father first and foremost."

"This of course being after he threatened to disinherit me."

Damien stared at her. "An empty threat?"

"Oh no, very real. When my father says he's going to do something unpleasant to you, he almost certainly plans to see it through."

"How... scary."

"Keep it in mind if you ever meet him."

"Thanks for the warning."

Silence fell around them as they both took a sip of their drinks, broken only when Deacon started whining and kicked up a fuss about not being allowed on Damien's lap.

Damien rolled his eyes and made room for Deacon on the seat beside him, instantly getting squashed into the side of the chair as the big dog snuggled in beside him.

"Was he violent?"

"My dad?" Clarissa asked in surprise, "No, my dad is never violent towards women."

"No, not your dad, Brett," Damien corrected, pointing towards her darkening wrist. "Is that the worst of it or is there more?"

"That's the only thing," Clarissa assured him.

"I'll get you an ice pack and some bandages," Damien said, scooting out from under Deacon and going back into the kitchen. He returned a moment later and took a seat beside her, gently taking her hand and carefully wrapping a bandage around it, securing the sprain before resting the icepack over it. "It's a nasty one," he muttered as he looked at her hand in his.

"Yeah... pretty sure my bones shifted on this one," Clarissa said, smiling.

"It's not a joke, Clarissa. Seriously, it's a relief that you ended things. I know the bruises were only a few times, but such situations escalate and before you know it, you're caught."

"Sounds like experience."

"My mum," he said, not looking up from their hand, "She was in a similar situation. Part of the reason I got into boxing."

He gently laid his other hand over hers and looked at her.

"But you got out, all on your own, well done."

"I owe you thanks as well."

"I didn't do anything."

"You did though. Ok, you weren't next door in the actual moment because the whole thing didn't go to plan. But in my original plan, it was knowing that you were right next door to help if I needed it, that helped ground me so that I knew I could do it, eventually."