27 ~ Learn My Lesson

The next morning Clarissa stood in the doorway to the bathroom, looking across the room to the bath where her costume was hung up, washed and drying. Moments before, Charlotte had walked in after spending the night at Adam's.

"Are you that amazed by your own clothing?" Charlotte asked as she pushed past the grab her toothbrush.

"That needed to be hand washed because... someone threw up on me last night," Clarissa replied.

"Ew," Charlotte muttered, grimacing.

"Yeah but... it's been washed. I think Damien might have washed it."

Charlotte looked at her. "I'm sorry, go back, where did Damien come in?"

Clarissa recounted the night, giving a version that didn't include violence or Brett, keeping most of the attention of Damien since that was what would interest Charlotte.

"The boy can hand wash clothing?" she said at the end of it and Clarissa frowned at her. "What? Do you know any other boys that can hand wash clothes? I had to teach Adam to wash my delicates."

"You don't let him touch your delicates unless he's taking them off you."

"Exactly," Charlotte said, pointing her toothbrush at Clarissa. "That much attention to looking out for you by a boy? That's dedicated. I'm telling you, he's a sweetie."

"I know he's a sweetie but I wouldn't hand wash anyone's clothing."

"Shows how much he cares about you."

"Maybe he's just really attentive to people."

"Maybe he has a crush," Charlotte replied and stuck her toothbrush back in her mouth. "He's coming to the beach right?" she asked across the brush.

"Yeah," Clarissa said, reaching for her own toothbrush.

"Man, we should have done this sooner so we could still wear bikinis. There's nothing sexy about October beachwear. Brett isn't coming on the trip, is he?"

"Probably not."

"Good, good," Charlotte said and Clarissa rolled her eyes. "And your plans for the day?"

"I'm going to see Brett."

"Ugh," Charlotte muttered, "Why would you ruin a perfectly good Sunday like that?"

"Because he wasn't very well last night so I want to check on him."

"Heart of gold."

"Thank you," Clarissa said, walking out of the bathroom.

"People desire gold! Be mindful of who you leave your heart in the hands of!" Charlotte called after her and Clarissa rolled her eyes.

"Thank you for that!" she called back and went to get changed.

Several hours later she rang the bell at Brett's place and checked her phone as Jason sent her a text - telling her that if she saw Adam first to warn him that he was gonna die (apparently Adam had eaten all of the cake Jason had been saving).

Brett opened the door a moment later and looked much like Damien had the night before, only his pale skin and dark eyes were real and not her makeup work.

"Wow, you look hot," she said, walking in as he stepped aside for her.

"I feel like shit," he grumbled, going into the living room and dropping onto the sofa.

"Yeah, I guessed after last night," she said, going into the kitchen and getting him some water. "Have you had any meds?"

"No, I just woke up."