19~ If I Were a Boy

The following week, Clarissa didn't see much of Damien. At first she'd wondered if he was irritated with her, after their somewhat stony ending to Monday. He caught up with her one evening for a run though, explaining that he was covering for someone at work so he was working shifts during the day and night.

The only other interesting thing of the week was the talk of the outdoors trip the complex always went on at some point in October - before they could truly freeze to death out in tents. Sasha's planning sessions were in full swing to get everything sorted and executed efficiently and keep everything kid-friendly this year.

The fifth week of uni flew by, as did most of the sixth, until it was Friday and the night of the next party.

"Will you be ok, I probably won't get back until really late tonight," Clarissa said, looking at Damien from where she sat on his sofa, looking across into the dining room where Damien was checking a bag to make sure he had packed everything.

"I'll be fine, Clarissa," he said, smiling as he rummaged for something. "Stop worrying, don't you have your own things to worry about, like what you'll wear tonight?"

"I know what I'm wearing tonight."

"The green dress," Damien said, nodding as he checked something off the list in his hand.

"How do you know?"

"I heard Brett telling you to wear it when you were on the phone to him yesterday," Damien replied, then folded his arms on top of the sports bag and looked at her. "You haven't met him much the last two weeks, have you?"

"He's been busy," Clarissa replied, "And we were talking about you."

"What a boring topic."

Clarissa rolled her eyes. "Are you going to be ok?"

"I. Will. Be. Fiiine," he said, straightening up and walking over to the sofa, dropping down beside her, the sudden weight making her jolt. "It's just another job."

"And hence my worry," Clarissa replied before they both looked around as a knock sounded at the door and Dante walked in.

"Hey, ready to go?"

"Yeah," Damien said, pushing back up again and going back to the dining room, grabbing his bag.

"Darcy's going to meet us there tonight," Dante said as Clarissa got up, holding the door open for her as she walked out of the apartment.

"He found a babysitter?"

"Sasha said she'd do it," Clarissa said as the guys followed her out.

"Really? Well that's good."

Clarissa chuckled slightly. "I think she wants to use Violet as resource material on what would be fun for kids on a camping trip."

Damien laughed slightly as Clarissa stopped outside her door and unlocked it, pushing it open before looking at them. "Make sure he doesn't get too beat up?" she said, looking at Dante.

"I'll try," Dante promised and Damien let out a dramatic sigh.

"I said, I'll be fine," he said, "now stop it."

"I'm allowed to worry."

"And ruin your night. Stop it," Damien said, reaching forwards and catching the back of her head, gently tilting it down so he could the kissed the top of her head.

She felt the blush coming on instantly and fought desperately to control it as she stared at the ground.

"Alright, let's go," Dante said, already leaving.