Twenty One.

^^^ LOML once again ^^^

Chapter Twenty One –

Ella's POV

I didn't get much sleep last night.

I tossed and turned as the small black words from the text kept crossing my mind like flashing road signal.

Dylan was working with them this entire time. The one person I told every detail of my day to was working with the people that wanted to make sure I had no more days to live.

It was nearly 5AM by the time the initial shock left my body and I jumped out of bed in defence mode. There was no way I was going to be able to stay here. Dylan's parents may be the sweetest people in the world – after Leyla – but they were probably in on Dylan's plan. Who could blame them? I would probably do anything to keep my loved ones safe as well.

I sighed to myself as I picked up my small carry-on bag. There was no way I was going to be able to pack all my belongings and leave in the short time span I had.

I really didn't blame Dylan for making the choice he did; no matter how betrayed I felt. He wanted to protect his family.

My train of thought trailed back to the one person who had been on my mind since I step foot on the bus back in New York. Caleb was probably still pissed at me and sleeping at his dad's house. Would he have even noticed I was gone?

My heart clenched as his intense glare occupied my entire conscience, and bit my bottom lip while shaking my head to get him out of my mind. This was not the time to be thinking about him, no matter how much I wanted to just grab a phone and hear his voice again. It was better this way – for all of them.

I tried to pack as many items of clothing that would fit in the bag as possible and, by the time the material of the bag itself was stretching out from the suffocating amount of contents, the sun had begun to rise.

"Shoot." I whispered to myself, blindly looking for the pair of shoes I had been wearing the day before to quickly slip on. The layout of the room was still familiar to me – yet I still managed to stub my toe on the corner of the wardrobe and make a thud noise as my fingers found the material of the shoes I was desperately searching for.

Quickly slipping them on, I made sure to open the door as slowly and quietly as I could, before popping my head out to look for any sign of life. By the sounds of things, everyone was still fast asleep – meaning I was clear to go.

My stomach grumbled as I passed the kitchen on the way out, and I bit my lip before quickly dashing in and grabbing a banana from the fruit bowl Dylan's mom always had on the table.

I exited the house and gave it one last longing look before I began to walk to the front gate. The gate was always creaky in the type of loud-horror-film fashion, so I threw my bag over it and began to awkwardly climb over the cold metal.

Then, a voice made me freeze mid-climb. "Ella?"

I stayed frozen for a moment longer with wide eyes before my head fell in disappointment.

"What the hell are you doing?" Dylan asked in a hushed tone, looking at me with his head tilted to the side and an amused grin plastered onto his evil face.

"Leave me alone, Dylan." I grumbled, still trying to make it to the other side of the gate.

"Oh believe me, I will. This is better to watch than the Netflix marathon I was just having inside." He laughed quietly.

My other leg somehow made it over to where the rest of my body was on the other side of the gate and I fell onto my bottom, wincing in pain before getting up and slinging my bag over my shoulder.