Eleven.

Chapter Eleven –

Friday afternoon arrived quicker than I thought it would, and I found myself sitting in a pile of clothes in Nora’s room with Leyla and Linda laughing at my miserable expression whilst Nora spoke to herself in the wardrobe room identical to ours.

“Nora. It’s a casual date to the movie theatre. I don’t understand why I can’t just wear my jeans and a fancy shirt I have in the corner of my drawer somewhere.”

“This is why you never tell Nora you have a date.” Linda nodded knowingly.

“Yeah. Once, I made a joke that Linda had a date with this boy she had a crush on when we first arrived here. She flipped it and freaked out that Linda gave her no time to prepare.” Leyla laughed.

“It was as if she were going on the date instead of me.” Linda shook her head, a small smile on her lips.

“Okay,” Nora breathlessly appeared from the closet, holding another pile of clothes, “I think I found something.”

My face transformed into another annoyed scowl as she dumped another pile of clothes on top of me. “Nora, I own clothes you know!”

“Ella.” She began to pout, and reached for my hands through the pile of dumped clothing. “I am bored out of my brains at this stupid college and-”

“Why don’t you study?” I asked, cutting her off unintentionally.

She began to laugh hysterically, and I frowned at her in confusion. “You want me to study for fun?! Michigan must have some funny people around. Studying does not cure my boredom, and because we have to sign in and out every time we want to have a social life that’s allowed by the school, my life becomes even more difficult.”

My eyes narrowed as I attempted to understand her situation, and I nodded for her to continue anyway. “So you must understand that when one of you girls – and don’t think I didn’t hear that little flashback story you two just told her – have a date with someone that you don’t regularly see like your boyfriend, I just have to put in my annoying opinion and dress you to look like a foxy little lady!”

“Okay, Nora? I haven’t heard the word ‘foxy’ since I visited my grandmother. When I was four.” Leyla mentioned while throwing popcorn at Nora’s face.

“I was trying to get her in the enthusiastic mood that I’m in!” Nora replied, glaring.

“I have an idea. Why don’t we go to Ella’s room and choose from her own clothes for the date?” Linda suggested.

“I like that idea very much.” I nodded in agreement.

“So do I! I can finally see Caleb’s room in the flesh! Or… brick in this case.” Leyla chimed in.

All three of us turned to Nora to wait for her answer, and she sighed after a while. “Fine. I’ll make an exception for this one date. Let’s go.” She puffed, standing up and leaving me in the pile of clothes she dumped on me previously.

Leyla walked over to me and grabbed my wrists, pulling me out of the pile and patting me off, making me laugh. “Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. Hey, do you have any chips in your room?” She asked suddenly as we left Nora’s dorm.

“Leyla, you just ate popcorn and chocolate!” Linda exclaimed.

“I’m still hungry!” She responded with a frown.

I laughed at Leyla’s defensive tone. “I’ve never heard you get angry over something before. Of course it’d be about food. I’m sure we’ve got something in there for you to munch on.”