Thirteen.

Chapter Thirteen –

“Okay, I can’t take this anymore. What happened between Caleb and you? You guys have been avoiding each other like the plague for two weeks!” Nora exclaimed, accidentally pushing me against the wall of the cafeteria and away from the ears of the rest of the group.

“What? Nothing happened.” I assured her with a confused look that I hoped she would fall for.

I watched as her eyes narrowed as she studied my expression for a moment, before shaking her head. “I don’t believe you.”

I raised my eyebrow. “Okay? Nothing happened Nora; Caleb’s just… being Caleb.”

Nora started nodding. “Okay, okay.” She went silent for a moment while still continuing to nod. “That’s actually funny considering Caleb told me you guys kissed!”

My eyes widened for a fraction of a second before I feigned shock. “Whaaaaaaaaaah?”

“Don’t you use that tone with me!” Nora growled, hitting the side of my arm with her nostrils flared.

“I’m sorry?” I muttered weakly, rubbing the arm she hit.

“What happened?!” She exclaimed with a stressed out expression.

I sighed. “Nora. Not now. Its lunch, and I’m hungry. I’ll go to your room after my victimology class and tell you everything. Deal?”

“Don’t you dare lie about this! My entire existence is hanging on this story you know! Ugh Caleb is the worst when it comes to details!”

I stopped for a moment. “I… um, how much did Caleb tell you exactly?”

“Just that you kissed and he hates you!” She sulked.

My expression fell as Nora’s words registered in my brain. “Did he… did he really say he hates me?”

“Yes even though we both know that’s not true since he has feelings for you and vice versa.” She waved me off, before speaking up again. “That’s why I need to know the entire story! What did you do for him to be so cynical?”

“Wasn’t he always like that?”

“Not since you came along! He was talking to people! Look at him now! He just sulkily sits there with that brooding expression that makes him look angry all the time!”

I frowned before we both unconsciously turned to look at Caleb. Unfortunately, he looked in our direction at the exact same time. Our eyes met for a fraction of a second before we both looked away.

“Oh my god.” Nora squeaked. “I saw that tension! You are a cruel, cruel friend Ella Parker. I cannot believe you’re making me wait.”

I cleared my throat before putting a small smile on my face and patting Nora’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

“You should be.” Nora grumbled, crossing her arms.

“What ‘ya gals talkin’ about here?” Jackson suddenly appeared beside us, making both Nora and myself jump in fright.

“Nora was just asking about a dress she wanted to borrow.” I answered quickly.

Jackson raised an eyebrow. “You don’t own any dresses, newbie.”

I tried to look insulted. “I do so!”

“No, you told me at D2 when we went a while back.”

“Shoot.” I muttered, looking down at  my converse.

“What Ella was meant to say,” Nora laughed while giving me a warning look before continuing, “was that she was meant to give a dress back that she borrowed from me.”