Three.

Chapter Three –

Waking up early because of a persistent friend was already a negative side to this college. Waking up even earlier because of that same persistent friend insisting that you had to wake up early on your first day of college in a new schooling environment was even worse.

“Have I mentioned how much I hate you?” I grumbled as I entered the cafeteria.

Nora grinned while handing over a large cup of coffee. “You won’t be mentioning after you drink that.”

I took a sip in reply and sighed in content before squeaking in fear as another loud roar of thunder rumbled throughout the cafeteria walls, and I blushed once Nora laughed at me as we took our seats.

Another negative side to the first day of college was the weather. It was one of those days where the clouds were so thick with water that the innocent fluffy white clouds we were used to during the day were now a dark, thick grey.

“This weather sucks.” Portia whined, coming up beside us and running her fingers through her hair desperately.

“I like the rain.” A new voice commented. I turned to face a short Asian girl with jet black pin straight hair that sat on her shoulders. She had big almond shaped eyes and large round frames surrounded them.

“Of course you do, your hair is permanently perfect.” Portia sulked, glaring down at the short female.

“Back off Portia.” Nora frowned, before squealing at the girl. “Linda! I didn’t know you were back!” She exclaimed in the same high pitched voice, before pulling the girl into a bone crushing hug.

“Nora- Can’t- Breathe-” Linda managed to get out, her eyes growing wider in the process while her hands stayed stiff by her sides.

“Oh, right! Sorry.” Nora grinned sheepishly as she pulled away. “Hey! This is Ella Parker! You know the one your mom told you to be more like that one time we were all over for dinner?”

Linda’s eyes now focused solely on me just as Nora took a step back once introducing me, and I gave an awkward half wave while attempting to balance my coffee cup and books in the other. “Ella Parker? What- uh… what are you doing here? I mean, it’s really great that you’re here but I mean, why? You’re a legend... Oh! Oh my god, I’m so sorry! That was so rude of me. Hello! I’m Linda. It’s really an honour to meet you Ella!” She gushed, repositioning her glasses with one hand as she reached out to shake my hand with the other.

The hand that I had used to wave at her with automatically stuck out in response – unfortunately, it wasn’t the hand that would lock in with hers for a proper handshake. I bit my lip in embarrassment before letting out a laugh. “Sorry, my other hand is kind of full and I didn’t want to make you-”

“Oh, no! It’s fine, really. I, um, wow I can’t believe you’re here! Are you going to present a lecture in one of the classes today or something?” Linda asked, her tone morphing into one of excitement.

I let out another awkward laugh before briefly glancing over at Nora, who was grinning widely at our exchange. “No, no I’m not. I attend this college now.” I explained.

I don’t know whether it was what I had said, or whether Linda had swallowed her own saliva down the wrong hole, but she began choking once the words left my mouth, making my eyes grow wide with shock and Nora’s entire body lurching forward to help Linda overcome the incident.

Once she had fully recovered, she looked back up at me. “You… You’re attending this college now?”

I nodded hesitantly, before looking over to Nora and Portia once again.