Chapter 60

Three days passed and Tim still hadn't called. The receptionists at the hospital quickly grew tired of hearing my voice on the line but no matter how many times I rang, they refused to tell me how Sophie was doing.

Knowing that I couldn't share what had happened with Melanie or Scott for privacy reasons, I found myself spending more and more time with Michael. Sympathetic but always blunt, Michael's method of cheering me up involved piling on extra work and then taking me out for a drink after work. By the end of the first week, I felt like I was going crazy but I knew that my frustration was nothing compared to whatever Sophie was going through.

Nine days, ten days, more work, more drinks, and then, right when I was planning to break into the hospital and find Sophie on my own, an unknown number flashed on my phone's screen.

"Hello?" I answered, still hopeful despite the week and a half of disappointment.

"Hi, Parker," Tim's voice replied and relief surged through me. "I'm sorry I haven't called until now."

"It's fine," I lied, too excited to say anything to the contrary. "What's going on? How's Sophie?"

"Better, much better." He paused. "I think she's ready to see you, if you'd like to stop by after work."

And so, exactly at five o'clock, I dashed from my office and sped north to Calabasas. Close enough to Malibu to service the needs of its white collar patients, Crystal Pines Psychiatric and Rehabilitation Center seemed like little more than a luxury resort for the troubled and unwell. The mega-mansion turned private clinic boasted nearly 20,000 square feet of amenities for its patients, which, according to its website, included two juice bars, a gym, and a spa.

Guests, as the clinic referred to its patients, were encouraged to make use of the on-site masseuses and, with a price tag of $2,000 per night, I had no doubt that most people did. As I drove through the security gates, I remembered that Sophie had once referred to rehab as a vacation. I wondered if she still felt that way now.

Inside the massive estate, I was searched twice -- first, for weapons and cameras, and then for anything that resembled contraband. Standing with my arms spread and pockets emptied, I didn't bother protesting when a smiling guard examined my opened packet of gum and tossed it into a garbage can. Satisfied that I didn't pose a threat to the wealthy patients inside, an orderly gathered me from the screening room and led me towards the visiting area. As we walked past the same modern features that I'd seen online, I caught myself thinking that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to be treated at Crystal Pines, though that thought was quickly replaced with shame.

The orderly who'd escorted me through the building left my side once we reached the door to the visiting lounge, assuring me that I'd be able to find Sophie somewhere inside. Breath caught in my throat as I stepped through the doorway, I scanned the room twice and felt a rush of relief when I saw Sophie sitting in a leather chair with her knees pulled to her chest. She looked up when she felt my gaze and made her way over to where I stood.

"Parker," she said, before pressing her lips against mine.

Conscious of the fact that we were standing in the middle of an inpatient visiting area, the kiss only lasted a few seconds but I was grateful for each one. When we broke apart, I tugged gently at the end of Sophie's braid while she looked at me through misty eyes.

"Parker," she began again, struggling not to cry, "I am so sorry. I am so, so sorry."

"Hey," I said, "don't apologize."

Sophie chewed on her lip for a moment and then asked me to follow her. Leading me past the chair she'd been sitting on, she motioned towards an unoccupied couch in the room's far corner. I sat down and watched while Sophie gracefully tucked her legs beneath her, resisting the urge to kiss her again.