Chapter 9

"I have to go make another loop," Sophie announced, getting to her feet as I tried to process what was happening. "Scott, let me introduce you to Nadia." She grabbed Scott's arm-as a sign of friendship or to help her balance, I didn't know-and dragged him towards a pack of attractive Eastern European-looking girls.

Vinny's gaze followed her for a moment before he turned his attention to me. "You can sit," he said, sliding over on the couch to make room. Lowering myself down onto a plush cushion, I couldn't help but notice that his voice sounded much higher-pitched than it did when he was on stage.

"So," he continued, studying my face. "You're Sophie's agent?"

"Sort of," I mumbled, not wanting to get into the details. "You're her best friend?"

Sophie's admission of their closeness had surprised me. I couldn't picture the outwardly clean-cut blonde and the heavy-lidded man next to me having a ton in common.

"Yeah, I guess. We go pretty far back. Grew up together on set," he replied with a casual shrug as he scratched his patchy beard. I frowned.

"What do you mean?"

Vinny grinned, a twinkle in his eye. "You watched her show, right? I was her sidekick."

"No way, but you..." I faltered, unsure of how to finish my sentence without offending him.

"Were a fat little geek? Don't worry, I know. The good thing about going off the grid after the show ended was that it gave me time to change my look."

I must've still seemed doubtful because he gathered his long hair with his hand and sucked in the silver ring that jutted from his bottom lip. I began to see the resemblance between him and the pudgy kid that faithfully followed Sophie's character around for seven seasons. "Just picture me with the glasses."

"Woah."

"Yeah," Vinny replied, letting his hair fall back down. I averted my eyes from the flecks of dander that had been shaken loose. "Try not to spread that. Bad for my image as a breakout musician, or whatever."

"Sure, but why tell me?"

"Don't know," he said. "Probably because it's rare for Sophie to say good things about anyone so I figure that you must be alright."

I tried to hide my guilt as I mulled over the thought of Sophie complimenting me to her friends. I couldn't say that I'd done the same. Sensing my unease, Vinny waved over a girl balancing shots on a tray and took two, handing one to me. "Cheers," he toasted and I shuddered as I swallowed the liquor in a single gulp.

Vinny took my glass and set it down next to his on the table in front of us. "I know she can be a pain, but she's a really nice person. She even planned this birthday party for me."

"It's your birthday?"

Vinny chuckled darkly. "Sucks, right? My agent has scheduled me to perform on my birthday every year since my EP charted. Last year I was in Istanbul and the year before I was in Taipei. At least this time I have a few friends around to balance out the freeloaders."

"Well, uh, happy birthday," I said lamely, unsure of how else to respond. Vinny grunted in response and we sat in silence until a stagehand came to tell him his set was starting.

"Nice meeting you," Vinny said and I stood to shake his hand again before he strode towards a man in a headset and disappeared through a side door that I hadn't noticed.

Feeling awkward by myself, I decided to go find Scott and Sophie. The last time I'd seen them, they'd been heading back towards the main area of the club so I made my way to the overflowing dance floor hoping to spot them. I watched Vinny take the stage, his hands held high over his head. "Los Angeles!" his voice boomed through the speakers. "It's my twenty-third birthday and I am so amped to get crazy with you tonight."