Chapter Five (America)

Later that night, I fall asleep next to Maxon. I'm awoken when I hear the sound of the doorbell.
I tiptoe out of the room to let Maxon sleep. I walk down the hall and open the large door.
I feel the breeze on my face as I look out into the dark night.
"Hello?" I call. I suddenly see a man dressed in all black grinning at me from the outside.
"Came for an Elite lady, we get the actual queen," a man behind him says, stepping out of the shadows. Then, in a sudden motion, the men around me move in. They grab my hands and use a dirty cloth to gag me.
"Maxon!!" I try to scream, but no words can come out of my mouth. "Maxon!!" I'm going to be captured. They have me. I'm going to die. I love you, Maxon, I think as if he could hear me. I want to, I need to, tell him one last time. I love you.

"America?" Maxon calls, waking me from my nightmare. "Are you alright?"
I nod my head, but can feel the tears on my face. He wraps an arm around me, and I immediately feel the comfort that always comes with Maxon's touch.
"I love you, America," Maxon whispers.
"I love you too," I respond with a smile. I want to tell him again, to remind him that no matter what happens, I love him. Maxon won't let anything happen to you, I tell myself as I close my eyes.
*********
"Good morning, my dear," Maxon says as I open my eyes. I grin. Today, I get to experience breakfast and lunch New Asian style, plus dinner again. If last night's food was any sign of the taste of their food, the other two meals will be excellent.
"Honeymoon, day two," Maxon says with delight. It makes me melt to see him so happy. After his parents' death, I didn't know if I would see him even smile again. Those first few days, it broke my heart to see him so broken. Add the stress of instantly becoming the crowned king of Illéa, and Maxon was miserable. But now, here he is, smiling back at me. And the reason for his happiness is me. Me. It makes me want to kiss him. So, I do.
Maxon laughs with surprise as I press my lips to his. "Day two, and more to go," I say as I pull away. Already, this day is off to a great start.
"Hello, Maxon. Hi, America," Elise greets us when we come downstairs.
"Good morning, Elise," I respond.
"Breakfast is in the dining room," she tells me. I don't even think. I just run to the room, Maxon behind me yelling, "America, wait for your husband!"
I laugh and stop when I see the food. It looks absolutely delicious! "Maxon, look!" I exclaim. I hear him chuckle at my excitement. "How are you not dying to eat this?" I ask.
"Well, I'm used to it," he said.
Right. Growing up as a one, of course he'd be used to abundances of food. All the upper castes would be. I guess it's just one of those disadvantages of being poor. I lower my gaze.
He takes my chin in his hands, tilting it upwards so that I'm looking straight at him. "That sounded way harsher than I meant it to," he said, his voice sincere. "Really, America, it did."
"I know," I said quietly. He looks at me with concern. He presses his lips to mine, and I immediately forget the tension. After all, we're planning to eliminate the castes soon. Then no one will need to worry about caste differences ever again. I wrap my arms around his neck as I return his kiss. Gosh, I love him so much.
Elise suddenly walks in. Embarrassed, Maxon and I quickly break apart. I sit down, and I can tell my cheeks are flushed red. Even after our marriage, Maxon still has the ability to make me blush.
"Try the food, America," Elise says when she sits down.
"You don't have to tell me twice," I joke. I try a bite. Just like last night, the food is incredible! "This is amazing," I gush.
Elise giggles at my enthusiasm. Suddenly, the phone rings. Elise looks at us apologetically, and walks out to answer the phone. She's only gone for a minute before she returns to the room.
Staring at Maxon with a perplexed look on her face, Elise quietly says, "It's for you, Your Majesty."

Author's Note:
Hahahaha, cliff hanger. I needed to switch pov's for the next chapter! Hope you like it. Sorry it took me so long! This has more words than usual, so it's longer than usual! I'll update soon, I promise.
-mxerica