Chapter Ten (Maxon)

I watch America walk away with an ache in my heart. How could I be so stupid? I think to myself. Of course Aspen matters to her. They're practically family.
Sighing, I walk back to my room. America will come around, I guess, and I have work to do. I try to shake off our argument; after all, we fight often.
I enter the room and take out some papers. Since the rebels attacked, there has been so much work to do. I sigh and start reading over the documents.
I've only gotten through about one contract when a knock sounds on the door.
"Your Majesty," a guard calls.
I turn around and open the door.
"Yes?" I ask, dreading any more bad news. I'm already having a bad day, and I don't need it to be any worse.
"We think we've discovered the source of the rebels' attacks. And it's someone in the palace," the guard says, fear eminent on his face, although I can't tell if it's fear of the traitor or fear of me getting mad.
I take a deep breath. "In the palace? Who?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady, but with all the things going on, I can't. It's all been happening so fast.
America, why can't you be here right now? I think to myself. I wish I hadn't gotten so mad at her. If I had just calmed down, she could help me right now. Well, it's your fault, Maxon. Might as well deal with the consequences.
"One of the guards," he says, seemingly stating the obvious.
I nod. "Okay," I say to myself. Now what?
"Does he know you suspect him?" I ask.  That's a good place to start, right?
The guard looks down. "I don't know, Your Majesty."
I sigh. "What do you want me to do?" I ask, even though I should probably think of a plan myself. "If he doesn't know of our suspicions, he can't show signs that he is lying and then deny it. We need solid proof, though."
The guard nods and nervously hands me one of the few security cameras that weren't completely damaged. "This tape contains a collection of our evidence," he says, in a tone that makes it evident he rehearsed this.
"I'll watch it. Thank you," I tell the guard reluctantly. As good as it is to have this information, I don't want proof that we have a traitor. Proof makes it all too real.
As he walks away, I shake my head. Why is this happening? What do the rebels want from us? The questions swirl around my head like rapid fire, making it hard for me to answer any of them.
Sighing, I walk back to my room with so many questions and no answers. I pull out the tape and review the footage shown, watching for any sign of possible treason.
My hopes for not finding anything suspicious are crushed when the tape shows one guard throughout the week leaving his post, and returning possibly about two hours later.
It seems suspicious, although we don't have enough evidence yet. Even without the the full-on proof, I easily agree that I can no longer trust this guard. It makes me wonder who I really can trust. America, of course, but as for the staff, I realize that I don't know about any of their loyalty.
I put my head in my hands. What am I going to do?
I hear a soft knock on my door. I walk to the door, not wanting to hear more bad news.
"Maxon?" A voice calls. It's America.
My mood seems to lift a little at the sound of her voice. Plus, her tone doesn't sound mad, making me instantly relieved.
I open the door. "Hey America," I say, not quite meeting her gaze.
"Hey," she says quietly, and I look up to see her usually determined face red from crying.
"America, what's wrong?" I ask, knowing that this isn't a result of our small argument earlier.
She shakes her head and sits down on our bed, putting her head in her hands.
I sit down and put an arm around her, hoping she'll talk.
She looks at me, and her gaze hurts my heart. I've never seen America this vulnerable.
"America, what is it?" I ask, now worried. What if I can't help?
She takes a shaky breath. "Aspen," she whispers.
And that's all it takes, that one whisper, that one moment, to know what's wrong.
Aspen's gone.

Author's note:
I'm sorry. I nearly cried writing this omg... Sorry this took forever to post. I've been SUPER busy, and so much has been going on. I hope you guys like this chapter, even if you hate me:)
-C💞