Chapter Fourteen (Maxon)

If I'm being completely honest with myself, this investigation is getting a little old.
The meeting with the guard wasn't at all helpful- in fact, it almost seemed to make matters worse. After all, America clearly didn't agree with his accusations, and I must admit, I'm not entirely convinced with them either.
"I'm going to find who it is," she told me defiantly after the meeting. "I know that it's not what it seems."
I had nodded, deep in thought, as I considered my wife's words.
"You have to listen to me, Maxon. Something's just not right."
---
I sit in my office, sighing as I check the reports again. This wouldn't all be so frustrating if it hadn't cost us so many important lives. They weren't just our soldiers, they were our comrades, some were even our close friends. I've never given up on a case before, and I don't intend to, but the truth is, I would have by now if it weren't for the lack of closure- who was responsible for all of these deaths, all of this mourning?
I will find you.
----
I walk around the halls of the palace, admiring the improvement.
The palace has been, for the most part, restored to its somewhat original glory. Looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell that a few weeks ago, it was completely destroyed.
America and I have also been working as hard as we can to help with the cleanup.
"No, Your Majesties, we have it under control," the maids would insist as they scrambled about in the chaos, contradicting their points.
But America and I had agreed that it was simply unfair to sit around as every other human being in this castle worked. We had both decided it would go quicker, anyways, with more hands, so why not?

"Maxon?" A voice calls, bringing me out of my thoughts.
I turn around and smile at my beautiful wife.
"Hello, my dear."
She rolls her eyes. "What have you been up to? I haven't seen you all morning."
I shrug. "Working on more investigation research," I respond, and I'm sure my voice sounds as bland as I currently feel.
She smiles, her eyes bright. "That's what I thought," she begins. "So, since we haven't spent much time together lately because of work and all of that stuff, I was thinking that maybe you'd like to go on a picnic with me in the gardens outside the palace? They're finally restored, so we could like, celebrate our progress," America ends, grinning.
I laugh at her excitement. "That would be lovely, my dear," I tease.
"Then it's set," she says, and I haven't seen her this content in the past few weeks. "I'll meet you in the gardens."
She kisses me on the cheek and I pull her in for a hug. "I love you, America," I say, taking comfort in her presence, because I know that however crazy things get, I can always count on her.
"I love you, too."
---
I walk outside, smiling at the smell of the fresh air. I haven't been outside of my office that much- much less outside of the castle. America was right- the staff really did get the outside appearance of the castle back to usual. Even if the inside still felt slightly crazy, a simple passerby wouldn't be able to tell (although I can't help but laugh at the thought of someone simply passing by the palace. It seems like everyone either lives here, wants to live here, or wants to tear the entire thing down.)
I look around the gardens and see America's fiery red hair, standing out from her surroundings, as usual.
"Hello, it's been so long since I've last seen you," I say with a slight laugh as I approach.
She grins. "Well, I'm glad you liked my idea," she responds as she takes out some food and lays them on the blanket she brought.
"Yeah, that's a first," I joke with a smile.
She gives me a fake pout. "Hey, I've had some pretty good ideas before," she tells me pointedly.
I lean over and give her a small kiss. "Yes, I know. And the best one was choosing to stay in the Selection."
She smiles, although I can't tell if it's because of me or the dish of strawberry tarts she just pulled out.
"Do you want some?" She asks, but I can tell she's hoping I say 'no.'
I grin and shake my head.
America takes a bite of the strawberry tart she holds and looks around. "It's nice, don't you think?" she asks, "that we have at least this part of the palace calm?"
I nod.
"It reminds me a little of The Selection," she admits, "having the garden as the one place I could truly think."
She rests her head on my shoulder, and I wrap my arms around her. "We'll figure this out," I say to her.
America nods. "I know."
I lean over and kiss her, and she kisses me back. It's only now that I realized how much I missed this- how much I missed spending time with America.
Suddenly, her gaze turns from me to something in the distance, breaking up our placid moment.
"What is it, my dear?" I ask, but she doesn't respond to the last part.
"Maxon, I have to go check on something," America says, giving me one last kiss, and stands up.
"Wait-" I start to say, confused, but she's already walking away from our picnic spot.
By the time I look back, she's already gone.
But to where?

Author's note:
OMG SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN SO LONG, I've been super busy! I tried to make a slightly longer chap then usual to make up for it. Anyways, so this fanfic is almost over because I'm coming to the end that I've planned. Btw you have probably forgotten what's happened my now so you may want to reread my last part😂. Anyways, thanks for reading, and thanks for 3.2k!!
-C💞