Chapter Nine (America)

The guard is saying something, but I don't hear it. I can only think of one thing. Aspen.
I don't have feelings for him anymore, that's for sure. But he still was a big part of my history, and one of my most trusted friends.
Maxon looks over at me, question in his eyes. In an instant, he understands.
"Sir," he asks quickly. "Do you mind telling us the condition of Officer Leger?" He says with concern.
"I'll find out," the guard responds, and rushes off to find the information. Maxon puts his hands on my shoulder. "He's going to be fine, America," he reassures.
I rest my head on his shoulder. He wraps his arms reassuringly around me, and I take a deep breath. "I love you," he whispers.
I'm about to respond when the guard comes back in, smiling uneasily.
"Your Majesties, Official Leger has been located in the infirmary," he says. I sigh in relief. Aspen's alive.
"But he's in critical condition, I'm afraid," the guard says. "We're not sure if he'll live."
"Thank you," Maxon says, dismissing the guard. When he leaves, Maxon turns to me.
"Can I see him?" I ask quietly.
Maxon nods. "Of course, my dear."
I take a deep breath as Maxon wraps his arm around me. "Let's go," he says. I only nod.
We walk to the hospital wing in silence, looking around the torn palace. It looks nothing like the beautiful, stunning and clean place that I left. Now, there's shattered glass, broken furniture parts, and vandalized walls everywhere, despite the staffs' cleaning. There's still so much work that needs to be done.
Maxon squeezes my hand when we reach the infirmary. I push the door open and look inside.
Everything considered, the place is in pretty good condition. Luckily, there's enough staff in the infirmary to care for all the patients- and there's quite a lot of them, too.
A maid walks up to us and bows. "How can I help you, Your Majesties?" She asks.
"We're looking for General Leger," Maxon says, and I silently thank him for not making me speak. I'm honestly not in the mood right now.
The maid nods sadly and motions for us to follow her into the hospital.
"He's in this room," the maid says, pointing towards a small corridor that must lead to another wing.
I nod and walk to the door. "Do you want me to come in?" Maxon asks.
I shake my head. "I want to be alone," I say quietly.
He nods, and I enter the room.
The hallway is short, and leads to another door. I take a deep breath and walk inside.
This part of the hospital is in better condition than the others- more maids, less mess. But still, I can tell that even the deepest part of the castle is damaged on some level.
"Hello, Your Majesty," one of the staff greets me. I smile at her.
"I'm looking for Officer Leger," I tell her.
She nods and points me to his bed. I thank her and walk over to Aspen.
When I see him, I gasp. There are cuts all over his face, and different bandages all over his entire body. "Aspen," I whisper.
"He hasn't woken up since the attack," the nurse sadly informs me.
Tears well up in my eyes. I can't lose him. I have Maxon, and he's everything to me, but in a completely different way, so is Aspen. He's my friend, my advisor, and also, part of my history.
I've been sitting by the bed for a while, I'm not sure how long, when Lucy comes in.
"America!" She exclaims when she sees me.
I run up to hug her. "I've missed you so much," I say, and smile. I haven't seen Lucy since my wedding.
She nods. "How is he?" She asks after a minute, referring to Aspen.
"Hasn't woken up yet," I say quietly.
Her eyes fill with tears. "I'm so afraid that I will lose him," she says.
"I know, Lucy. But he's going to be okay. He's Aspen, he's strong."
Despite my words, I don't know if I'm saying that for her or me.

-------------------

"I'm going to visit Aspen," I tell Maxon two days later as we exit yet another meeting about the rebel problem. If they wanted to cause commotion, they've certainly done their job.
"America, you've visited him a lot over the past few days. I've barely even seen you," Maxon says with a sigh.
"Maxon, we're married. I'll see you plenty. I'm so worried about Aspen. I want to be there when he wakes up. Well, if he wakes up- Maxon, this could be the last time I see Aspen." I say the last part quietly.
"I get that you're worried, America, even I am, but honestly, the amount of times you visit him won't change-"
"Geez, Maxon, he's one of my closest friends. I'm sorry if you are upset, but Aspen's dying and I'm sorry if you can't understand that I want to see him, but that's your problem," I say angrily, and begin to walk away. I can't believe that Maxon doesn't understand.
"America, I just want to spend some time with you," Maxon pleads.
"Well, I'll spend some time with you, when you're on your death bed," I shoot back, and immediately regret it. Why do I have to be so impulsive?
I walk towards the infirmary, and Maxon stays quiet.
Well, now you've done it, America, I think to myself.
This week just can't get any worse.

Author's note:
Sorry I haven't updated in forever, been busy! Maxerica fights make me sad :(. If I made a story that is my version of "Book 5," would you read it?? I probably will write it, not sure though. Vote, comment, and don't forget to follow!
-C💞