Prologue

London, England 1870

Dynasty listened with a dull ear as the girls around her all gossiped and giggled at the new scandals circulating through London. In all honesty she truly did not care. She dreaded parties, always had. She hated corsets and petticoats and the tight buns forced upon her short hair.

She especially hated all the chatter. It was every where. She couldn't seem to escape the mounting conversations around every corner. And to make matters worse, everyone was talking about the same things!

A countess marrying her butler, oh no!

An American marrying a British woman, oh the audacity!

She frowned, to her it was utter nonsense. She didn't care who some lonely countess had married! She didn't care that an American had married a British woman! She merely wanted to find a corner to sit in and wait for this awful party to run its course.

"Pardon me, but I don't feel so well. I'm going to go find a seat." She told the group of giggling girls before her.

They all gave her worried looks before nodding their understanding. She gave them a small forced smile. She moved through the large crowd, saying excuse me and I'm sorry to every fellow she bumped into.

After a long and tedious journey across the ballroom she finally found a seat. She collapsed into it and sighed happily, feeling exhausted just from walking across the room. She fidgeted in her new dress, pulling at the fabric. Just as she got comfortable she heard someone call her name. She groaned, recognizing the voice instantly.

"Mother, please, just let me sit down for a moment longer."

"Oh, darling why can't you be more excited? It's your second season and there are bachelors every where!" Her mother exclaimed.

"Exactly! It's my second season! I know what to do but I need a break besides everyone is so boring."

Her mother gasped. "Dynasty! You mustn't say things like that! Someone could hear you!"

"Oh I don't care! Let them hear me!"

"You hush this very instance! You won't be causing a scandal this season Dynasty!"

Dynasty frowned but clamped her mouth shut at her mother's words. The scandal she was referring to had nearly ruined her first season. She had been courted by a duke during her first season but that courtship had ended horribly. He had been terribly boring and no matter how many times she had told him no he had continued to pursue her until one day her temper had simply exploded. She had slapped him square across the face. In public.

The ton were still wagging their tongues about it even now. She pouted, slumping down in the chair in a very unlady like fashion.

Her mother grabbed her elbow and tugged her up. She suppressed a groan but followed behind her mother as she was dragged toward yet another group of gossiping girls.

"I heard he would be arriving tonight! I would love to dance with him!" One of them shrieked.

Another one of them nodded her head before saying, "He's just so handsome! It's almost as if he isn't real!"

Dynasty's mother pushed her into the circle and the girls made room for her.

"Can you believe he's still not married?"

"He's a rake!"

"But a handsome rake!"

"Indeed he is!"

Dynasty sighed, deciding she might as well occupy the rest of her time. "Who are you all talking about?"

All eyes were suddenly on her. "Adam Hugh of course."

She raised a brow. "Isn't he married?"

One of them giggled, "No, his son silly! Oh! He's here!"

All the girl's turned and began to squeal. She rolled her eyes to the ceiling before doing the same, curiosity getting the better of her. She froze as her eyes fell upon the handsomest man she had ever seen. Her breath caught, her heart slammed against her rib cage. For a moment she thought she was dreaming.

"Is that him?" She asked one of the girls.

"Yes...isn't he wonderful?"

She didn't answer, much to busy eyeing him. His hair was black, curly and long. It framed his face perfectly, his caramel colored eyes striking and bold as if he could see through your soul. He was tall, beautifully built and had a smile on his face. His skin was golden like honey.

"Someone should go and talk to him." One of the girls suggested. And before any of the others could agree Dynasty stepped forward. "I'll do it."

She moved into the crowd, her heart pounding as she got closer and closer. She stood straighter, held her head up higher. She had never been denied attention from a man before and she knew he would be no exception. Their eyes locked as she neared him, stopping in front of him.

He held eye contact with her, his lips forming a slow sensual smile. She thrust her hand at him and he chuckled a bit before kissing the back of it.

"You are?" She asked.

Laughter danced in his eyes. "Adam Hugh Jr. And you?"

She lifted her chin. "Dynasty. Dynasty Harrison."

His smile widened. "It's nice to meet you Ms. Harrison."

She thrust her hand out once more and he raised a brow.

"Is there something wrong?" He asked.

She blushed. "A dance."

He shook his head, his hair dancing around his shoulders. "I'm sorry to say no Ms. Harrison. I don't think you deserve a dance."

Her face turned beet red at his refusal. "Excuse me!"

He bowed gracefully before winking at her, "I shall gladly dance with you at the next party but only if you ask politely." With that he walked away, leaving her shamefaced in the center of the room.

*Ohhhh.....and it begins. I honestly love AJ's personality. He's utterly hilarious to me.

Comment, like and share!*