Chapter 6

Adam ran his hands through her hair, trying his best to pull out the grass tangled within it. Dynasty stayed silent, she felt, strangely relaxed. Content. Sated.

Her limbs felt weightless. Her body felt as if it were floating above the ground. Her eyes were half open, half closed. She was tired. Worn out.

"Come on princess. Do you think you can stay awake until we get back?" He asked her as he lead her to his horse, sitting her on top of it.

She mumbled a slurred ,'Uh huh.'

He hopped onto the horse behind her and guided the horse back toward the stable. She was settled comfortably against his chest, her heart beating leisurely in her chest. The stable boy walked over to them and waited patiently as Adam pulled her from the horse.

He placed a hand at her back and gently coaxed her forward. Her steps were slow and uneven. He pulled the door open and guided her through it, wrapping an arm around her waist as he lead her up the stairs. She leaned against him as they went, heading straight for her bedroom.

He walked her into it, swiftly pulling the bed's comforter down and depositing her onto the bed. He removed her slippers before swinging her feet onto the bed and slowly pulling the comforter across her body. Her hair fell like a halo across her pillow, her eyes staring up at him lazily.

"Get some sleep, princess." He said as he turned to leave. She reached out and grabbed at his coat tail, stopping him.

He turned toward her, giving her a curious smile. Her eyelids drooped sleepily. Her lips parted and for the first time she graced him with a smile. His eyes widened and his heart leapt. He thought her pretty before but with a smile on her face he had no words for her radiance.

"I don't hate you." She whispered as her eyes closed.

His smile faded away and his stomach churned. He should be happy. Yet all he felt was a growing sense of guilt. Good god, the girl really did have him wrapped her little finger. He scowled, raking a hand through his hair. He moved toward the door but stopped as he felt resistance, realizing that her hand was still gripping his coat. His expression softened and he wrenched her hand off of him. He kissed her fingers before gritting his teeth and exiting her room.

He walked down the stairs and headed straight for the library. He paced restlessly. His mind working a mile a minute. His heart was pounding, his head ached. It hurt. It physically hurt to know that this was all a game.

That he had come here, based on a bet. He ran a hand down his face angrily. He was angry at himself. He was angry because he had developed feelings for the stubborn little chit. He stopped pacing and sighed, leaning against the bookshelf behind him, knocking a book down. He reached for it, flipping the book around and scanning the page it fell open on.

She was no fool. She knew love for what it was. It was the single flutter of a sparrows heart beat. It was the beauty one saw when they gazed upon a weeping willow. It's arm reaching for a love lost.

She stared upon her love, her face contorted with the utmost pain as she cried. Her tears staining her cheeks. Who was he to toy with her heart? Who was he to teach her love only to make her skeptical of her new found knowledge?

He slammed the book shut and jammed it back onto the shelf. "Damn it." He muttered underneath his breath.

The library door suddenly opened and Mrs. Harrison walked in. In her hands was a novel. She paused as she spotted him, a smile forming across her face. "Hello, Mr. Hugh. How was the ride? That daughter of mine didn't do anything foolish did she?"