Chapter 14

Had the world always been so dark? So cold?

Dynasty did not know. But what she did know is that it felt that way to her. Her body was stiff, and the very thought of opening her eyes seemed more like a chore than anything else.

Despite the difficulty in doing so she finally managed to pry her eyelids open, squinting as she observed her surroundings. Her eyes widened as she realized that she was in her old bedroom. The familiar flowery print on her walls to the vast emptiness of her bed...She clutched the comforter in her hands before trying to sit up, struggling just to get upright.

"Oh, no! Darling you mustn't strain yourself!"

Dynasty froze, the comforting voice that belonged solely to her mother had her nearly jumping out of the bed to hug her. She hadn't even noticed her mother in the room with her.

Her mother looked her over with a worried expression before sighing in relief and embracing Dynasty with a soft squeeze. Dynasty melted in her mothers arms, hugging her as if she hadn't seen her in years.

"I've missed you." Dynasty said softly.

Her mother chuckled, kissing her in the cheek. "I've missed you too darling. How do you feel?"

Dynasty sighed, blinking as she took a deep breath. "I feel fine. What happened? Why am I here?"

Her mother's face fell and she cleared her throat. "You fell ill for a little while you're fine now! Don't worry."

She narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Her mother was a terrible liar. "Where's Adam? And why was I brought her instead of being treated in my home?"

Her mother's chubby cheeks tinted a pale pink. "Adam brought you here, he was worried he couldn't take care of you on his own."

"Mother..."

Her mother hopped up and she pasted a stiff smile on her face. "Are you hungry? Thirsty? I'll have something brought up for you."

She made a bee line for the door but Dynasty, with the little strength she had left, climbed out bed. "Mother! Tell me what's going on right this minute!"

Her mother froze, turning around slowly. "You're still recovering and I don't want to worry you."

"Tell me the truth this instance! You're scaring me!"

"Maybe you should sit down first..."

Dynasty gave her mother an impatient look.

"I heard your father and Adam talking...about a...."

"A what?" Dynasty almost screamed, her heart was suddenly pounding.

"An annulment!"

Dynasty sank down onto the bed, her eyes as round as saucers as her mother's words sunk in. They echoed around in her head. Her mother rushed over to her, "Are you alright? Oh, I knew I shouldn't have said anything."

"I'm alright." Dynasty said, though her cheeks were pale and her heart ached in her chest.

"Is he still here?" She asked on a deep breath.

Her mother nodded, "I believe he's still talking to your father...I'm sorry, darling."

She shook her head, sending her mother a weak smile. "You needn't apologize. This isn't your fault."

They sat in silence for a moment, until Dynasty's pain clouded over and all that was left was determination. "I think I'll take something to eat."

Her mother perked up at her words, giving her a relieved a smile. "Of course! I'll have something special made for you!"

Her mother raced from the room and Dynasty stood, her limbs protesting. How long had she been lying in bed?