Section Five

In her room, Eleanor threw her head against her pillow and sobbed. Tilly, a servant and caretaker, stood by the entrance to Eleanor’s room with a roll of bread and a jug of ale. “My Lady,” she said in a consoling voice. 

Eleanor felt her mattress bend under the weight of Tilly’s body.  Tilly didn’t speak anymore but placed a soothing hand on Eleanor’s back and moved her hand in circular motions.

Just the presence of another person made Eleanor feels better. She liked the company

Of Tilly more than if Eustace or her father tried to comfort her. All through her life Eleanor longed for a mother figure to fill her dead mother’s hole. But it wasn’t until recently did Eleanor realise Tilly was the mother she was looking for. Eventually, her tears abated but left her cheeks wet.  “Were you ever in love?”

“Yes, my lady.”

“Why didn’t you marry?”

“Oh, I did my Lady. But he died a long time ago; before I became your nurse.”

Nothing more needed to be said on that topic. Eleanor now knew that being a nurse was not Tilly’s first choice to spend the rest of her life.  It was only when Tilly was desperate for money or at least a way to provide for herself that she became what she is today.

But Eleanor was thankful for that. Tilly was benevolent to her and cared for her more than her own mother, Matilda ever did. She was a constant companion in her life.

Offering Eleanor a piece of bread, Tilly said, “It’s a wonderful feeling isn’t it? To be loved.”

Tilly spoke with such sagacity that Eleanor forgot her troubles for a moment. “It’s the best feeling in the world.”

Clement’s body was sore and stiff from spending the night on the hard floor of the cell. He had a kink in his neck and a scowl in his body. He was brought a firmly spoilt piece of bread and a jug of warm water to fill his stomach. But he could not eat. Nerves were eating away at his stomach.

Clement walked in shame to the cart where he was locked in. He gripped the wooden bar sets and thought. The cart set off in the direction of the public square’ were all executions were held. The square was just below a balcony in the Castle so that the Earl, Eleanor’s father, and his family could watch. Clement hoped he would not see Eleanor’s beautiful face between the arches.

He knew if he were Eleanor, he would be praying to God for forgiveness. But what was the use in that when nobody would answer?  There was nothing he could do other than wait and hope that Eustace would come around.

As his cart drew near to the crowd of people, he saw something that he had never witnessed before in faces at a hanging. Hanging were common in Winshire and nearly every time the people tossed apples, onions, stones and any other object they could find. But this was different. As he rode by, men took of their hats, women crossed themselves and children cried.

 Winshire was weeping for his innocent soul.

 He smiled at that idea. He, a fatherless tanner’s apprentice, could have an impact on his surroundings and the people around. Clement marvelled at the idea. It was new and peculiar and wonderful.

 Clement was dragged from the cart to the gibbet where a rope was tied around his neck.  He looked up to the balcony of the castle and swallowed dryly when he saw Eustace standing there.  Looking away, he searched the crowd for his mother.  He found her in the back of the crowd with an aloof expression.

 He agreed with her; this was surreal.

Clement maintained his examination of the crowd, wishing not too see one beautiful face weeping back at him. Eleanor, he thought. If I never see your face again, know that I love you. And I would have married you.

His thought of marriage to Eleanor and feelings of ecstasy vanished when his eyes fell upon the strong boned face of Gregory. Gregory was standing beside a kind faced girl of about the same age. Mabel Fletcher was a thin girl with curvy appealing features but an injudicious mind, Clement recalled from idle chat. Clement wanted nothing more in the world than to break free of the noose and strangle Gregory himself.

But that would get him nowhere; he would then be tried for murder and be in the same position.