Section Thirty-Eight

Gwyneth gasped, her hand flying to her mouth and Eustace froze; this was one situation he did not ever think of. In his mind he worked out that either Clement would die from the rope or maybe fire or the chance that Eleanor would suffer the embarrassment of divorce. But to see Cecilia lay cold in her mother’s arms was a ghastly site. Death in infancy was not uncommon, in fact, Eustace knew that his mother and father suffered the pain of many children’s death before Eleanor and himself but he was unprepared for this.

O Lord, Whose ways are beyond understanding, listen to the prayers of Your faithful people: that those weighed down by grief at the loss of this little child may find reassurance in Your infinite goodness. Amen, Eustace prayed for the unbaptized infant as he crossed himself.

Letting Eleanor go, Eustace stood up. “How?” Clement shrugged. “For an intelligent man, you are injudicious.”

“Sir, it’s not my fault,” Clement began with a melancholy voice. “By the time I come here to see my daughter, she is already dead; there was nothing I could do but get you to protect Eleanor.”

Eustace nodded in agreement. It seemed that Clement knew of Roland’s potential rage.

“Oh dead sister,” Gwyneth said, wrapping her arms around Eleanor. “I am sorry beyond words. I know that Saint Felicity is guiding her into God’s arms. She is in a far better place than what we can give her here on earth.”

Those words did not break Eleanor’s tears. “What is God’s will now? Why am I to suffer like this?” She knew the answer and the answer was in the room holding back tears. That idea occurred to her over a year ago but it was becoming reality now.

“Don’t you see? God doesn’t have a will,” Clement shouted into the air. “There is no being up in the sky watching us and ordaining our every move. We have no destiny that is a fraction of God’s will and plan. We are alone in this world. Alone. Alone to face the dilemmas and make choices and dictate our own lives. ”

The sound of a slow, mocking, bang turning the heads of the room towards the doorway where Lord Roland, Marjorie and Garrett, a bailiff and the page, Benedict, stood in awe. Roland banged the heel of his boot against the floor. Cutting the gesture out, he walked towards the middle of the room where Eleanor lay. He placed a hand on her shoulder and turned towards Clement, addressing him. “My, it was rumoured that you were a nonbeliever- never appearing in church and have twisted thoughts- but it is extraordinarily shocking that you dare speak these blasphemous thoughts out load.”

Clement stepped away from Roland, catching Eustace’s gaze. He wondered if Lord Roland would extend the pardon. But it must not be so? He thought. My luck has run out and I must face my actions.

 “It appears,” Roland spoke again, “that this lovely couple of husband and wife are bound to be together.” He looked at Clement and Marjorie, admiring how odd it was they both found themselves in the same city. He knew it was no coincidence.

“My Lord,” Clement sank to Roland’s feet. “In a case such as this-”

Roland cut him off. “Dare you mention law? Oh yes, I know the law in regards to a wife finding a lover; the lover is hanged.”

Marjorie smiled; justice.

Eleanor’s heart deteriorated into deeper misery. She shot Clement a pleading look, but he cast his gaze away. She too knew the law. “My Lord,” she began to whisper but slowly stopped, at a loss of words. Rising to her feet, she touched Gwyneth’s arm, bidding her to step outside. Gwyneth nodded and left the room, brining with her the page.  Once they were gone, she gathered her courage and spoke again. “He has not done anything that merits a hanging.” While she spoke she looked towards the ground and barely raised her voice above a whisper.

“Not lawfully, but look at the shame you two have brought yourself and your family,” Marjorie interjected loudly. “My Lady,” she quickly added onto the end with a small nod of her head.

Eleanor pursed her lips together; there was no argument for that, it was true. At the time of their love making, he was married and she was not, men are allowed to keep mistresses. The problem arose when men were made cuckold but technically, Roland was not.  Turning towards Eustace, Eleanor asked, “Brother, what do you have to say about this? You spared my dear Clement’s life once before, will you not aid in doing it again?”

Eustace sighed. “It’s not that simple; there are standards and rules and honour.”

“The honour of humanity,” said Clement.

“The honour of my family,” Eustace snapped back. “Lord Roland is by marriage my family. Sister, you have wronged your husband.” He could not bare to look at Eleanor, the pain in her eyes was far too great.

Beginning to cry again, Eleanor sat on her bed and whipped the tears from her eyes. If Clement truly loved her, he would come and comfort her, but she was starting to see the light. The memories of laughing, kissing, loving Clement were jettisoned in the past. This was her new world; a life with Roland and without Clement. Not even Cecilia to resemble him. “Why?”

Clement was the one to answer that question although he understood it least of all. “Honour, it’s all about honour in the eyes of society and God.”

Roland nodded towards the bailiff. The bailiff grabbed Clement by the shoulders and whisked him away towards the door. Just as Eleanor drifted out of hearing range of Clement, he shouted, “You would have been better to fall off Winshire Cathedral.” He was glad that his voice’s presence was not missed.