Section Twenty- Seven

After a long day at the tannery, Clement pushed open the door of The Glory Knight Tavern and found a seat next to Gregory. With a half consumed mug of ale, Gregory was hunched over the table. "Oh, Clement," he gasped upon seeing his old friend. "Where's the wife?"

"At home, “Clement said nonchalantly. 

Gregory nodded with satisfaction. "There's news that I fear I must tell you. It's about Lady Eleanor." Clement waved his hand in the air, to brush aside Gregory's words. Shaking his head, he made it clear that he did not want to know anything about his past love.  "It's...you have to know. She's with child and there's rumour the baby may not be Lord Roland's." Gregory spoke the words in a hushed tone, making sure they reached only Clement's ears.

Gasping, Clement slammed his fists on the table. "Why would you tell me this?" he shouted, causing several heads to turn in his direction. His fears for the past few months had partially come true. Now it came down to whether her baby would be birthed with a darker colouring or a lighter one. Although he desperately wanted the baby to be Lord Roland's- just for the sake of the baby- there was a feeling he didn't quite understand. Against his better judgement he envisioned the baby with dark eyes, dark hair and tanner complexion. "I have a wife and child and you think I care for petty gossip about a woman I once knew?" 

Marjorie- Oh, dear God, how will she react? She did not have the right to throw him out; it was not uncommon for men to take mistresses, but Marjorie was not the type to sit by and allow him to make a fool out of her. She could seek revenge in the cruellest ways possible; maybe set something afire. But instead of rushing home and confessing his sin and love to her, he sat forward in his chair with an evil grin. “Lest we forget the sin is yours too," Clement snapped referring to Mabel Fletcher. 

Gregory sputtered."Wh-what do you mean?" He widened his eyes in mock innocence. 

But Clement was not tricked by his childish games. There were many moments when it was easy for Clement to forget how young Gregory was- not yet sixteen- forever since he was shamed publically he seemed to be older. Except, there were those moments when he reverted back to mischievous antics of treachery. "Oh don't insult me with your lies; I am not oblivious to Mabel. But the difference between you and me is that I'm not going to rat you out."

"Who would care?" Gregory asked defiantly. 

"Nobody," Clement said meanly 

 He left the tavern, running on hot temper, and made way for his home with the determination to tell Marjorie. "Marg," he called, entering the doorway. 

"Silence!" she snapped back. She shot her eyes downward at Garrett, asleep in his bed. 

Clement opened his mouth to speak his mind, but paused to think about the phrasing of his words. If he puts it too gently, she will think he does not repent his actions. If too harshly, her anger will only build upon his words. "There's something important I must tell you."

Marjorie sighed. "Can you wait? I am too tired to talk of anything serious."

"I thought by month four they are more independent," Clement said looking at his sleeping son with admiration. 

Stifling a laugh, Marjorie shook her head. "How can you be so smart but so dull?" Marjorie placed a hand on his cheek and gently stroked his skin. "Come, let's go to bed."