Section Thirty-Seven

Shaking her body violently, Clement revived Eleanor. Sitting up and leaning into his arms, she panted. Her head spun in each direction, unable to grasp what was going on. She dared not to look inside the crib, hoping to retain a shred of innocence.  “Oh dear Lord! Get my brother, now!” she shouted, remembering what she discovered in full light. Clement rose and when he was halfway out the door, Eleanor called,“ No, get Tilly!” Eleanor gripped the side of the crib with tremulous fingers.

Nodding, Clement left in search of either Tilly or Clement. He walked down the corridor, trying to clear his mind and make sense of what he just held in his arms. Pausing by a stairway, he sat down, slamming his head against his knees and his hands on his head, pressing his temples. What could happen to him once Lord Roland realised he was now publically shamed? Death was one answer that kept revolving in his mind. He knew this would be a problem, just never predicted this way. Contorting his face and thinking as rationally as he could, he pieced together that either Tilly or Sir Eustace needed to know before Lord Roland did. Clement decided on the latter of the pair for the simple fact that Sir Eustace had more leverage than Tilly did. Springing to his feet, he remembered his purpose in leaving Eleanor today.

Bounding down the stairs he bumped in a page- the same page as before. The page stepped timidly away from Clement but he grabbed the boy by the collar. “I need to find Sir Eustace, have you seen him?”

Nodding the page said, “Out by the archery field.”

Clement let the page go and ran towards the archery field as fast as his legs could pump his body forward.  He knew that Eleanor would be cross that he disobeyed her orders and went to search of Sir Eustace not Tilly, but he knew this was the right thing to do. Soon, his breath became raspy as the field came into view. As he ran across a path that dragged through the outskirts of the town, he saw a man atop a horse with a woman who held a slight resemblance to Marjorie. He laughed sadistically at the idea of her being in Ashbourne; there was no reason for her to be here. It was more likely at she was held up in a convent somewhere not far outside of Winshire. Charging onto the pitch, he scanned the area for Sir Eustace.

Eustace wrapped his arm around Gwyneth’s waist, pulling her close to his side as the archers raised their arrows to the air.  So far it was a peaceful afternoon in Ashbourne for Eustace although, he did wonder when Clement would arrive and speak to Eleanor and see Cecilia.  

There were many times when he wished he had killed Clement when he had the chance those two years ago; then the whole scandal would have been finished and there would be no Cecilia to claim questions concerning fatherhood. But he had not and now Cecilia was a happy, healthy and energetic baby; Roland was a knowing but inactive father; Eleanor a healing mother who was starting to forget Clement.

The archers shot their arrows off into the targets, hardly missing their marks. The few that fell short or long of the target plunged into the withering grass with sharp pangs of bursting noise. Eustace often marvelled at the skill of the men before him and could only pray his skill with his sword would match theirs with a bow. He hugged Gwyneth and kissed her forehead with a smile. Through his life his honour and goal of knighthood were what consumed him, eating his thoughts but lately, all he could think about was a future with his hopeful son. Gwyneth told him that it was not an easy shot to produce a child on the first try and make take several months, but he longed for someone to keep Cecilia company and he needed that person to be his son.

Suddenly Clement appearing in front of him, bowed quickly and spoke, “Sir Eustace, come quick- there’s a situation regarding Lady Eleanor.” Without a moment’s hesitation and Eustace and Lady Gwyneth on his heels, Clement ran back towards the manor house.

As Eustace ran towards the manor house, his mind raced through all the possible complications. He knew it was regarding either Roland or Cecilia; the former was more likely. Had Roland finally decided to act upon the infidelity? Eustace was sure that if Gwyneth acted in such a way that Eleanor did, Gwyneth would have been exiled the moment he knew. But he forgot that thought as quickly as he could; Gwyneth was too faithful for that.

He bounded up the stairs of the house and burst into the bedroom. Taking in the scene, he rushed to Eleanor’s side, as she lay withered on the ground in a shaking heap. He turned Eleanor over. Eleanor’s arms were clasped over a bundle of swaddling clothes; Cecilia. That was no explanation for the tears. He tried coaxing her arms apart, telling her that Cecilia would die from pressure like that. Eleanor did not respond but cried harder. Looking towards Clement, Eustace pleaded with him.

Clement shook his head and looked away, muttering, “It doesn’t matter anymore; my daughter is dead.”