Chapter 6 - Deep Down in the Impasse

Bree's P.O.V.

"What are you complaining about? I'm the one who has to go on every single mission with you two morons!" I bellowed.

The two stopped their argument abruptly and turned to me.

"Then don't go," Chase hissed. He stomped his way to me and glared right into my eyes.

"You've quit before, just do it again!"

I stared at him blankly. I never thought these words would be coming out from him. I pouted at his blower. The whole world fell black, he was the only one in front of me, eyes burning with fire, Chase Davenport.

I had to resist.

"Really? You're gonna pull that one out? You know, if I remember correctly, you're the one who took off on us, and went on a mission alone, Mr. Avalanche." I retorted and pointed back at him.

He fixed his attention at me. My hearing was suddenly blurred. I could not hear anything.

"...worthless deadweight." I saw he mouth.

He turned away determinedly, leaving me there, alone.

It had just been a flash before I realized what I had done. He was slipping further and further from me. After all was said and done, I knew, I couldn't bear losing him.

"No. Chase, wait!" I yelled and screamed. "I never meant to say that, Chase!"

He disappeared into the darkness. And my heart was torn, the torn part had gone along with him. The other half, however, had sunk to the deep, deep down in the darkness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chase's P.O.V.

"BREE! NO!" I cry as I plunge to the bottom of the cliff. I watch as her eyes shuts closed and falls unconscious.

This isn't happening. I am horrified but there is no time to think and wait. I am merely metres from the ground.

No going back.

I flip over and slow down my own free falling by molecular kinesis to hold off the time. Then I extend my arms to build a force field near the surface of the ground. I grasp the last few second to reduce Bree's falling speed, too.

My body hit the force field. I quickly roll over and Bree immediately crashes on it. I drag her down to the ground and take back the force field. She is pale white.

"Bree, Bree!" I pat on her shoulders and press the back of my hand to her forehead. Her scalding forehead burns my hand. Her pulse is growing faster and faster.

How did this happen?

I examine her over and notice the wounds on her right hand. The stingers stick in her hand and the hand is darkly bruised. I scan the wound and find the venom is spreading fast in her body.

"Neurotoxins... no it couldn't be..." a terrifying feeling arises in my stomach. I quickly stand up and look back up at the branch she has been holding on few minutes ago with my super sight.

Scorpions.

I shut my eyes in terror. It really is, the sting is the reason. I kneel down beside her again and pick out the stingers with molecular kinesis. The dark venom drips on the ground. I am failing myself. I cannot do this. I draw back and take a deep breath. Adapt yourself to the situation, Chase, you are her only hope.

I scanned over the forest to look for anything I could use. Our bags were left behind. "Soil, pH value: 8.97," My heart is lightened. I tear out a large piece of leaf from the shrub and wrap it tightly around her hand. Alkali is the best for scorpions' stings.

Bree, you will be alright.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am holding my hands out, trying to connect the satellite system desperately. It has been two days, Bree is still in a coma, Adam and Leo are nowhere to rescue us. And somehow I cannot connect to the GPS signals of the outside world. Something weird is going around.

"No... Chase... wait.." Bree moans in her dreams, sounding painful. "I never meant to say that... Chase..." I startle and hurry back by her side. I kneel down agilely. She is in a cold sweat, mumbling my name painfully. My heart shakes as I take her hand and interlock our fingers.

"I am right here, Bree. I am with you." I reassure firmly and clutch her hand tightly. "I am not leaving you behind this time."

Bree is still breathing heavily and the situation is not improved much. I am prompted by a sudden thought. I lean over and plant my lips on her forehead softly. I move away slowly and look back down at her. She has relaxed and her eyelids are no longer squeezing together tightly.

Things are perfectly right, nothing ever went wrong. Perhaps it is just me, thinking everything will be messed up with us being together. Indeed, things are never better.

She is sleeping there, quietly and serenely. I smile and tuck her hair behind her ear. "We will be just fine."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:
Just as you're wondering... what was disturbing the GPS signal of Chase? Why weren't Adam and Leo there to rescue them? And what would happen to Bree and Chase? Check out the next chapter... he's back.