Chapter 10 - Connection Encrypted

Chase's P.O.V.

Chase!

Bree kneels beside the cage and cries my name desperately. I do not even have to open my eyes to feel that. I lie on the floor still, denying the incident that happened few minutes ago. I wipe off the cold sweat on my forehead and rub my ears again, hoping they would reverse back to normal.

Chase? Answer me, Chase!

She is almost cracked. I can imagine her voice in my head. I can't stand leaving her there struggling alone. "Bree," I breath out and sit up. She turns visible again. Her eyes are puffy and bloodshot, tears streaming down silently. It hurts me thinking how much she has born of not being able to do anything. I do not dare to say anything, partly scared of the result will be too ruthless to both of us. I shut my eyes close again for complete solitude.

I can't hear.

Skye has been torturing me with the high level of noise. She increased the volume by adjusting that knob on the wall. All thanks to my super hearing, I have a much wider frequency audible range than normal human. My ears are extremely sensitive to sound of high hertz. No one except me in the room can hear that sound. Too much pressure was acting on my eardrums, they eventually broke, that's also when my hoarse shriek stopped.

I was deaf.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didn't you answer me? Chase...

Bree look at me painfully as I try my hardest not to choke. She tries to show sympathy, which on the other hand she is not able to have a single idea about the reason of my pain. This torture to her is even more suffering in some sort of way.

"I couldn't," I say stiffly, not even sure whether I have spoken or not. All I can hear is some blurred sound that cannot be interpreted.

What?

Bree has a look in her eyes with pure terror. I lose my hearing ability, it is not nothing. I start explaining, not fully sure how the words comes out. I only see the worried look on her face worsens by second. Her eyes widen and I see her hands shaking.

No, no way. You heard her, you answered her. That was impossible.

Bree frowns and denies. I shake my head, trying to control my vocal cord to create the appropriate sound. "I can read lips, that was how I identified what she said,"

No. What about me? You knew I was gonna attack them. You heard me cry. You knew it, that was why you was able to curb me.

I scratch the back of my neck and avoid her impatient eyes. I am not sure whether she should know. She is not ready to be told. I stagger and sigh finally. I had better tell her before I lose my chance.

"Remember that invention I've been working on for months?" She nods puzzlingly. "That is a new bionic ability that I try to create without any help from Mr Davenport or Douglas. I haven't got any chance to tell you because of the offer from NASA. I have done some testing on it but it isn't finished." I pause again. It really isn't the right time for Bree to know.

What is it, then? It makes you able to hear even without ears?

She utters eagerly, which is partly correct considering her assumption.

"I invented telepathy. This ability allows me to build encrypted tunnel between the chips of bionic human and communicate. It is not limited by the bionic signals but the radar wave of the bionic chips. That was why these lasers designed to block signals from bionic chips wouldn't work."