Chapter 8 - The Rain on Fire

Bree's P.O.V.

"Gotta admit, you've got pretty mad survival skills," I smile at Chase. I am wrapped tight by his jacket, sitting beside the fire he made. He stabs the branch into the fish he has just caught, without using bionics might I just add.

Chase smiles and sits beside me, rubbing his hands near the fire. If it hasn't been Chase, I would be dead by now.

"Tonight we have to sleep by turns," he says. "We have to keep an eye on each other. We are out without our capsules and our bionics may glitch at any minute." "Awh won't you do me the favor?" I points at my wounded right hand and whine. He laughs and shakes his head. "No way! I have already been up for two nights for you."

Two nights?

"So it has been two days, since the incident?" I raise my eyebrows disbelievingly. I never thought I have fainted for that long. It feels like just yesterday, seeing Chase's hand released from mine and fell.

He stiffens and nods. I sigh and stare into the fire. He has stayed by my side all these days, never having a single thought of leaving on himself.

"Thank you," I begin. "I wouldn't have survived without you." "No problem," The corner of his mouth curves up. "I have your back."

"No. Really, I didn't deserve that much. You could have got out from this days ago. You would have caught your flight tomorrow morning. You would have so much more without me, this worthless deadweight-"

"But it was my choice to stay with you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chase's P.O.V.

"It isn't any sort of sacrifice. I am only making up for my mistakes."

Bree shakes her head hard and reaffirms. "You didn't do anything wrong, it was just me-" "Remember how I told you to set our problem aside and we would deal with it when I return?"

She nods quietly, fixing her attention at the burning fire.

"I thought the plan was comprehensive. But deep down I know I have always been avoiding that one factor I should consider most." "Surprising to know, I am not on that list," she mocks. I sighed and nodded, once again disappointing by myself because I had let her down.

"I thought the offer was a good chance, or you could say, a good excuse to run away from it. I am just that kind of coward evader."

"No," she interrupts, turning back at me. "You are indeed worth the offer. You are never given enough recognition by us. To me, you are the most amazing person I've ever known. That means too much for you."

My heart misses a beat. I stares at her blankly. Amazing? She means it?

Her cheeks flushes red and quickly covers stammeringly. "I mean- you are doing really well and all of us- we all know-" she face-palms and sighs. "Well I thought it was, too," I giggled at her silly act, fixing my eyes on her again. "I never really tried to compare the cost and benefit of the NASA's offer, because what I knew was that I am worth the offer, not realizing that the offer might not really worth myself. Not until the days were finally drawing by closer, I discovered that I would never be able to bear the cost of losing you."

For a split second I see her eyes light up with joy and surprise. And then the next, she is back to normal and she frown. "But our promise-"

She does not even dare to try showing her real self in front of me. And that somehow makes a vague feeling of guilt arise in my stomach.