Chapter 14 - The Defense Before Dawn

Leo's P.O.V.

I suck in a deep breath as I clasp my hands over the wound on my left leg. It is bleeding terribly. I lean on the wall, gasping for air. It is over, I guess. Chase has just smashed the chip that Marcus and Sebastian stole from the academy. And now Skye is helpless. We shall be already sitting on the hydroloop when the sun rises.

But Leo's wish has come to nothing when he sees Skye's annoying smirk on her lips again. I sigh as I rip out a piece of cloth from Douglas' mission suit to wrap my wound. "Oww!" "What?" I ask innocently. "I can't fight with a bleeding leg."

Skye concentrates her eyes on Chase, whose triumph smile has just disappeared. She mouths something I cannot read. But I bet Chase can, because the next second he is tumbling up and backing away as fast as he could from Bree, whom is no longer in coma. Great, so it's the Triton App again.

The mission to transport the toxic chemical. The man-made earthquake. The cyber-masked Bree and Chase. The plan of taking revenge on us for the infinite "freedom" of the bionic race, or for her own rancor against us. It all makes perfect sense now. Skye knew Bree and Chase would have fallen off that cliff. It is her area, she deactivated all the connection with the outside world in that forest. That is why we could not connect to the real Bree and Chase at the time.

It is hard to imagine how perfectly Skye has planned for everything. She could almost be an ordinary girl, or even popular, if she has not been tortured that much. Well although none of us has been ordinary here. Despite that, I still cannot feel a single pity for her.

Bree stands up slowly with her eyes glowing in green. The Triton App. I frown as I dig deeper into the meaning of these words. Not the Triton app. The Triton app is only an app in the chip that can take over the person's bionic when it is activated. But Skye has the full access to her chip. She can control every single nerve of Bree directly, no need to be through the Triton app. Bree can never regain her consciousness that easily by simply fighting on her human side, like what I did to revive Chase last time.

Real perfect plan huh, Skye. Unless we are able to link to a part of Bree's chip that hasn't been manipulated, or even Chase's override app can never shut down the control.

Adam and I move forward, attempting to tackle Bree down before her attack. But we are held back by Big D's and Douglas' piercing scream. We turn to see both of them fall to the ground. They are electrocuted by Marcus. Yes, Marcus. Why wouldn't they simply shut their eyes and we would send them back to jail and all have a happy ending?

"BIG D! DOUGLAS!" I yell as Adam spring forward and tackle Marcus. I hear a humming noise zooming near me and I duck, dropping to my knees. The fireball hits Marcus in front of me and he moans. I roll over and examine the opponent - alright it is the trio again - I mean Sebastian, Lexi and Tank. They are never gonna fall aren't they?

I inhale a deep breath as I quickly glance at Chase across the room - just falls on his back and is being pinned down by Bree. Sorry, I can't help you. I think as I roll back up, ready to fight again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chase's P.O.V.

"Bree...?" my voice comes out uncertainly. The sound in the surrounding starts to blur and blend into some ringing noise in my ears again. The effect of the Power Pellets is fading. Very soon I will be deaf again. I look at Skye, just in time to make out her final death order.