Chapter 15 - Awaken and Broken

Douglas' P.O.V.

"Argh..." I wake with a start. My head aches so badly. Every inch of my body hurts. I squint my eyes open but I cannot see clearly. Something's blocking my sight. The blurring sensation just doesn't go away. I close my eyes and try to take in deep breath. Then the effect comes. I cough violently and tears come out from my eyes.

The room is on fire.

The thick smoke shrouding the room is choking me hard. My heart is pounding out of my chest. I struggle to get up but trip over Donald's body. "Donald. DONALD!" I yell and shake his body. I am out of track of the war ever since my son stroke me from my back. All I know is that everything else is burning. I need to get out of here.

I push Donald's body with all my remaining strength and roll him over. I stay down to the ground with my left hand pressing on the floor. I rummage through his clothes and find the geo-leaper in his back pocket.

Perhaps if I leave now, I can still make it out alive.

I hesitate at my thought and examine the instrument. I look up at the room. It is the barrels standing by the side of the room catching fire. I can somehow make out Adam's motionless silhouette, leaning on a wall beside Skye. Leo's left leg has been crushed by one of those barrels - he is gonna lose that sound one too. Over the far corner of the room, Chase is lying on his back over Bree's limp body.

The exits have been blocked. I can't wake them up. I can't save them. I would be wasting their last hope if I try to stay and help them out. That's it, I need to get out now. I reach out my left hand to press the white button on Donald's geoleaper.

"Douglas!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Skip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chase's P.O.V.

"Ow shoot!" I have banged my head on something hard and cold, causing my brain to come fully awake. I rub my temple and open my eyes.

I am inside my own capsule.

What? Why am I back? I stretch my arms and they ache. My body is wrapped with bandages. My ribs hurt. The temporary blank of memory startles me. The two capsules beside mine are both empty. My heartbeat starts racing again. "Bree? Adam?!" I rush out of my capsule abruptly. There is no response.

"Leo! Mr Davenport!" I shout as I dart through the empty hallway and enter the training area.

"Bam! Take four more cards! I'm so gonna win this," Leo slams a UNO card on a table and lets out a triumph laugh. "Awh man, that's fourteen rounds in a roll!" Adam puts down his cards and leans back on his pillow.

Something's different.

There are a few students chatting in the area. But I can see it has been transformed. White curtains are placed between some adjustable beds in the room. Adam is lying on one of them, with a thick bandage covering his right cheek. Beside the table on the left hand side of Adam's bed, Leo is sitting on a wheelchair. His right trouser leg is empty.

"Chase!" Adam yells as he catches the glimpse of me. Leo turns his head and a wide smile is hanging on his face. Both of them are unable to move towards me.

"Adam, Leo!" I force a smile as I run and tackle both of them in my arms. "Woah settle down little bro," Adam teases as I hug them. I let go and take a closer look at them. There are traces of bruise and wound on their faces and arms. I scan them silently. The deeper damage is inside. They are in so much more pain than me.