3: Debt Repaid

After the fire drill, which I guess wasn't actually a drill, Kira and I went home. I was doing homework when I heard my dad call. I went into the hallway to see Kira heading down the stairs. When we got to the bottom, we waited silently for our father to speak. "Girls, get ready for dinner" He said, "And put on something nice." "Why would I need to wear something nice?" I said. "I invited a guest for what I like to call the 'Thank You for Saving My Daughters from Becoming a Coyote Dinner' dinner" He said as he opened the door to show Scott McCall standing there with a large smile on his face. "Hey" he awkwardly waved. "Oh, God" Kira facepalmed.

This would be entertaining. I changed into a black tank top with a mesh shirt over it and jeans before meeting my family and Scott at the dinner table. "So, Scott, I'm sure that as a native Californian, you've eaten at some pretty impressive Japanese sushi restaurants. But I have to tell you that my husband is a superb chef" Mom said as Dad walked in with a tray of freshly made sushi. "Okay, we have hamachi, uni, ikura, and hirame" Scott's eyes widened at the sight of the sushi. "You've never eaten sushi before, have you?" I laughed as I began to place a piece of each sushi on my plate. "Is it all raw?" He stared at me across the table. "Not the rice" I smirked. "Oh, my God, guys. We were supposed to have lasagna tonight" Kira complained. "I was trying to impress him. I didn't want to bring out the...You know what? I'll make lasagna" Dad rose out of his seat.

"Oh, no, no! It's okay. I can try anything. Really!" Scott assured. "Okay" He sat back down. We all started to eat while Scott fumbled with his chopsticks. I dipped my sushi into a bit of soy sauce, enjoying the entertainment that was struggling in front of me. "Uh, here. Try holding this one like a pencil. And this one goes under it, like this. Then you just move the top one, - like, like this - Yeah" Kira moved around Scott's fingers, trying to put them in the right position. "Thanks. So you guys moved here from New York?" Scott asked. I nodded, "Sadly." It definitely wasn't my choice to move to California. Especially Beacon Hills. Whose ever even heard of this place? New York will always be my home. I left behind my school, my friends. I wanted to go back desperately.

My mother looked at me, scolding me with her eyes lightly. She knew I wanted to go back but she promised I would grow to like our new home. I shrugged, poking at my food. "I have family ties here. Several generations" Dad picked up another piece of sushi. "Yukimura is Japanese, right?" Scott asked. "Yes, but I'm actually Korean.When my wife and I married, I took her name, as she was the only surviving member of her family" He explained. "You didn't want to take both names? "Scott asked. "We were married in Japan, where the law says that the couple must share the same name, to belong to the same koseki. My wife's lineage is quite unique. I was actually going to discuss it in class" Dad smiled. "Please don't" Kira shook her head. "Kira, you should be proud of your heritage! It was a profound honor to join your mother's family" I rolled my eyes.

Kira looked over to Scott's plate, "Scott? What happened to your wasabi?" His cheeks were starting to turn red. "I thought it was guacamole" He croaked. Rice flew to the back of my throat causing me to choke as I broke into a fit of laughter. Our Dad ran to get Scott some water while Kira tried to comfort Scott. Mom scolded me in Japanese for laughing. Once I recovered from choking, I finished my food and went to my room. Half an hour later, Kira had ordered a pizza for her and Scott and they went to her room to eat it. I side eyes them as they walked past my room to get to hers. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" I smirked, continuing to scroll through my phone.

"What wouldn't you do, Kai?" Kira stuck her head in my room. I thought about it, "I don't know." "Exactly" She rolled her eyes and disappeared. I tossed my phone to the side and grabbed my backpack off of my desk. I turned the tv on in the background while I did my homework. It was starting to get late so I figured that it was probably time for me to get in the shower. I placed my homework in a binder then placed the binder on my desk. Taking a final look at my homework, I noticed that the red eraser had left a stain on the paper. I scratched at paper, attempting to remove the stain. To no avail but scratch marks on the paper, I decided to leave it alone and get in the shower. I went to the bathroom that connected mine and Kira's room and locked her door before getting into the shower.

I connected my phone to my Bluetooth speaker and turned my playlist up loud. When I got out, I combed through my hair and put on a t shirt and some shorts. I unlocked Kira's door and went to my own. As soon as I opened the bathroom door, the smell of burning plastic and paper burning filled my nostrils. My eyes flicked to my desk where my open binder was on fire. Orange embers flew into the air before settling to the floor, becoming a black color. My wet feet nearly caused me to slip as the fire caught me off guard. I quickly ran to the desk, shutting the binder abruptly, causing the flames to extinguish. There were no elements of anything that would cause a fire anywhere near these papers when I got in the shower. So what the hell happened?