1: Welcome to Beacon Hills

I walked into first period, taking a seat all the way in the back in the corner. As I looked up at the board, I saw 'Mr. Yukimara' written in white chalk. You can't be serious right? I pulled out my schedule and checked. Yeah, I'm in the right class. Great! Shouldn't it be like against the law to have your children in your class? Like what if he helps me cheat or something. I mean, he wouldn't but still. As people began to come into the class, I pulled the hoodie that covered my black strapless top tighter around myself, putting the hood up. I then put on a pair of large black sunglasses because I already knew what was coming.

Kira came in behind some other people and walked down the aisle I was in. "Why are you wearing sunglasses? It's not even bright in here" She asked. "I'm preparing for the embarrassment to come, as should you" I responded. I crossed my arms over my chest and sat back, awaiting the class to start. A boy dressed in a flannel and t-shirt came in with a tan boy dressed in a jean jacket and sat next to me. He sent me a dorky smile which I returned with a brief smile. I felt like he was trying to look into my eyes but he couldn't see through my glasses. Then, my father walked in, placing his briefcase on the table. "Here we go" I said in Kira's ear as I put earphones in. The tan boy looked over at me as if he had heard what I said. I shook it off, keeping my head down.

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous history teacher. My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, by now, you all know my daughter, Kira?" Everyone instantly looked back at her as he pointed. Kira's eyes widened as she awkwardly waved. "See?" I laughed into her ear. Seems I spoke too soon. "And my daughter Kai?" He pointed. Their eyes traveled from Kira to me. I turned around, looking behind me as if he was talking about someone else. I waited until I know longer felt eyes on me to turn around. "Or, you might not, since they've never actually mentioned anyone from school...Or brought a friend home, for that matter. Either way, there they are! Now, let's begin with American history at the turn of the 20th century" Dad said, opening his textbook.

I was more of a loner. Well, not back in New York. I had a lot of friends back then but I basically lost them all when we moved to Beacon Hills. I was a city girl and this was a small town. We just don't fit. I just haven't felt like making new friends so here, I'm a loner. I zoned off as my father spoke about history. I passed the time by doodling in my notebook. I was notified that class was over by the bell ringing. Everyone quickly left the class as our father stood by the door, bidding them farewell. Kira and I stayed back, allowing ourselves to be the last to leave. I pulled my hood down and put the sunglasses away as Kira began to berate our father.

"I thought you said you wanted to make friends?" He asked. "Not like that!" Kira said exasperatedly. "Yeah, I definitely never said that" I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "You said you wanted to be noticed!" Dad said. "And I definitely didn't say that either" I added. "I could set myself on fire and be noticed!" Kira nearly yelled. "Well, then you'd be dead..." He led off. "Exactly" Kira responded. "Better than embarrassed" I shrugged, looking off down the hallway. I could see that the boy from earlier was looking our way. I looked at Kira and she was looking at him too so they were looking at each other. It seemed like he heard them again. Weird. "Ok, you two can fight over the embarrassment we just experienced. I'm gonna go to Art class" I said, backing away from my family.

I found the classroom within five minutes. Many of the seats seemed to be open. It was a small class. The teacher greeted me, "You must be the new student. Kai?" I shook her hand. "Yeah" I smiled lightly. "Well take a seat anywhere. It's an open paint so feel free to paint whatever you want" She smiled at me before I went to find somewhere to sit. I chose to sit on an empty stool in front of two girls. One had captivating long strawberry blonde hair and the other had a brown medium length cut. As I put my bag down on the floor, the girl with brown hair smiled at me. Literally everyone was smiling at me today, do I really look friendly? I felt like I totally was not giving off a friendly vibe.

I smiled back at her and took a seat in front of the empty easel. I just happened to sit right by the window, directly in the sun. The heat was going through my black hoodie, making me incredibly hot. Not that I cared about anyone's opinion, but I thought that my first day of school probably was not the best time to show off all of my tattoos. But I was hot as hell and didn't feel like moving my seat. So I pulled off my hoodie and placed it on top of my bag. There weren't many people in the class anyway. There was literally only ten of us so oh well. I placed my earphones back in. Now I could focus on my painting, which I was pretty good at. I could feel that the two girls behind me were staring at my tattoos but I ignored it.

They were probably just admiring them. I continued to paint as the girls started to talk. "Not the steadiest hand for a superb marksman..." The one said quietly. They thought I couldn't hear them but my music was low enough for me to still hear. "It's been happening for the past few weeks. Since that night" The brunette said. I wonder what that night was about? I decided to stop accidentally ease dropping and put my full attention into my painting. It was coming out really good so far. As I went to dip my brush in a different color, I saw something in my peripheral vision. The girl behind me had dropped her brush and some red paint had splattered on my backpack.

"Start over" The girl's friend gave her a new piece of paper. I pulled my earphones out and placed them with my phone on the easel. Then I stood and grabbed the paint brush, handing it back to her. "I'm so sorry about your bag. Um, I can pay for it!" She insisted. "It's ok. It's leather, it'll come right off" I said as I wiped at it, "See." "Well sorry again. I like your tattoos" She said. "Thanks. My mom hates them" I smiled, wiping excess paint off of my hands onto my pants. The girl with the red hair peeked around her paper, looking at the painting I had done. "That's really good" She said with the brunette nodding in agreement.

 "That's really good" She said with the brunette nodding in agreement

"Thank you" I smiled. "You're new. I'm Lydia" The red head put her hand out. How formal. I didn't know people still shook hands. "Kai" I replied, shaking her hand. "Allison" The brunette did the same. "Nice to meet you both" I said. "Where'd you move from?" Allison asked. "New York City" I responded, sitting back down but staying turned towards them. My dad wanted me to make friends so bad so here you go. And at least I actually liked these people so far. "You left NYC and came to Beacon Hills?" Lydia asked in disbelief. "Not by choice" I chuckled and shrugged, "My mom used to live here. I guess she missed home."

"Well, Welcome to Beacon Hills."