7: Tricks Not Treats

As the wire flew towards the ground, I honed in on a figure standing right in the vicinity of the live wire. "Oh my god. Is that Kira!?" I exclaimed, hand flying towards my mouth. I was honestly surprised that I was able to make her out from the top of the building. It looked as if she was staring up at us but I knew she was looking at the wire flying towards her that might bring about her end. I quickly turned, running for the doors of the stairwell. Derek and Scott followed, the three of us probably looking like madmen as we flew down the stairs. When we made it to the entrance of the hospital, the sight in front of us was hectic. An ambulance had crashed into a fire hydrant which made water flow everywhere. I was too busy looking for Kira to even notice that the wire had landed in a puddle, electrifying the water. Derek pulled both Scott and I back before we could step in the water which grew wider and longer by the second.

I followed the direction that the water was coming from and saw something that, a few weeks ago, I would've said was impossible. But with all of the things that I've seen recently, this was just the icing on the cake. Kira stood in the water right by the wire. But nothing happened to her. Unlike everyone else, she hadn't been electrocuted. Then, Kira reaches out and snatched the wire. She hesitated at first but then put her other hand on top of the sparking wire, covering it completely with her palm as if she had done this before. She shut her eyes as she managed to contain the electricity flowing out. The Beacon Hills Hospital sign powered off as Kira opened her eyes, revealing them to be an amber color.

I turned to the boys, finding humor in their shocked expressions, "At this point, how are you guys still surprised? Some real crazy stuff goes down in this town." People continued to run out of the hospital, panic overpowering them. Among them was our mother who had seen what Kira had done. Kira and Scott stared at each other as Derek broke off from our side. Isaac was one of the few people who had been electrocuted. "Scott, he's not breathing!" I heard Derek yell. Kira dropped the now dead wire, a look of shock coming over her face as she truly realized what she had just done. As Scott ran past me to help Derek with Isaac, I just stood there. I guess I kind of was in shock. By the time I had gotten my brain to tell my legs to move, my mother was at my side with Kira. She had a hand on each one of our arms and briskly pulled us away from the scene.

She sternly looked Kira in the eyes, "I saw what you did. Now's not the time for anybody else to see." Mom looked around one last time to make sure no one was looking at or for us. I looked over at Derek and Scott. I felt bad for just abandoning them like that. Look at me! Before, I had no friends and wasn't looking to make any when we moved here. But here I was, finding myself caring for people that I had only known for like a month. You're such a cliche, I thought to myself. The car ride home was an awkward one. I sat in the backseat as Kira and our mother argued back and forth about what had just occurred. I completely zoned out besides the times when Mom wanted me to say "ok" to confirm if I heard her or not.

When we got home, Kira and I waited until our mother went to sleep for us to creep into each other's rooms. Her bedroom door squeaked as I shut it behind myself. "Could you be any louder?" She whisper-yelled. "Shut up! I could if you'd like? It's not my fault that your door is rickety as hell!" I exclaimed, tip toeing over to her bed to sit next to her with my laptop in my hands. Once I was settled in, Kira asked, "Did you see me today?" "Kira, I don't think there was a single person that didn't see you. Astronauts in space probably saw you" I said, partly joking, "How'd it feel?" "Honestly, exhilarating. It was like nothing I've ever felt before" She answered, a smile creeping onto her face. "How did you do it?" I questioned. "I don't know. Really. It was just like instinct" Kira replied, "But what about you? Has anything like this happened to you?"

"Well, something did happen a few weeks back. My papers just caught on fire, nothing big" I shrugged it off. "Nothing big!? That's huge, Kai" Kira said, slapping my arm. "And I can do this...." I snapped my fingers and a lick of a flame appeared as if I was holding an invisible match between the three fingers. It faltered before disappearing. "I can't always do it. I've been practicing though" I said, laying against her headboard. "I always knew you were a pyromaniac" Kira joked. Now it was me hitting her. "Real funny. What can I say? Some people just want to watch the world burn" I winked at her, "Now, lets start researching so that we can get to sleep at a semi-reasonable time." For a few hours, Kira and I looked up anything and everything that we could on Kitsunes. There wasn't that much information to look through besides a few myth websites and the ramblings of people who probably had no idea what they were talking about.